Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

homeshire

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Ohio, looking toward Germany
my wife just brought me one of these phones home. in all honesty, i'm not that big on phones, so i'm a little short on knowledge concerrning them. i tried syncing it through bluetooth and usb cable. all i get is that no services are supported. what can i do about that? it is a v3m vcast music phone. if anyone can enlighten me, or otherwise just inform me of what i've got here, and what i can do with it, i would appreciate it. thanks.

p.s. if it matters, i'd be connecting to iMac g5 ppc last generation.

homeshire

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
let me prime the pump by offering an initial reply myself. what i'm really interested in is the ability to sync contacts, notes, etc. and to be able to import photos from the phone. i have no interest in web access et al. can anyone at all offer some insight?

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
An ongoing thread here might be of some help to both of you.

Do a forum search for "Verizon v3m" and what you'd like to know -- a lot of knowledgeable people have written a lot of stuff on MR about this phone.

homeshire

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
thanks for the link. it's more confusing than helpful. they all speak as if getting their v3m to talk to their mac and sync up is a given. all i accomplished was getting my iMac to discover and acknowledge the phone. but then it just said no services supported. what to do?

andy007

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2006
UK
i also have the same problem with my LG choclate and my macbook. It alsways says can not connect to services or somthing like that even though it recognises it. It just wont sync up.

Its been driving me mad and im yet to find a way to do it, which has lead me to believe some phones are just not compatable with isync.

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
The V3M is compatible with iSync for synching addresses, but not for synching calendars via iCal. At least not universally so.

Can you say what steps you've followed so far? Have you set your phone to be discoverable? If so, then choose "Set up bluetooth device" in your bluetooth menu at the top of your screen (by the clock, and assuming you're trying to sync via BT).

In order to set your phone to discoverable, hit the down button the directional pad, choose "Setup" and then choose "Find Me."

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
The RAZR V3m can only be used with Bluetooth if you unlock it by flashing the Firmware on the phone. However this will void your warrenty, but if you ask me it is worth it.

My old RAZR V3c had the original Firmware which Verizon left the Bluetooth unlocked. But the later models had this feature crippled, so they could make a couple more dollars, by making people have to buy their software to make it work.

Anyway, you can do it as long as you have the right How To, to give you good intructions on what to do. Here are a couple of links on how to check your firmware version , and how to Flash it [again this is at your own risk!].

However, to enable the Bluetooth you need to flash you phone to the GATW_xx.xx.02 version of the firmware, and then to the GATW_01.15.04 version to make it be unlocked; this is basically an upgrade from a version that has bluetooth enabled, and updating to the .04 version has bug fixes, and has a faster GUI.

Another thing which does get disabled with the flash is the Memory Card slot will no longer work [this is what i read on the forums from some other sites, by people who have tried it].

So all in all, it depends how bad you really want it, and if it would be worth losing the functionality of the Memory Card Slot?

Good Luck either way.

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
The RAZR V3m can only be used with Bluetooth if you unlock it by flashing the Firmware on the phone. However this will void your warrenty, but if you ask me it is worth it.

This may very well depend on your firmware version.

I've never flashed my Verizon V3M and am able to sync contacts via BT with no problem.

homeshire

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
i wanna thank all the replies. i can be adventuresome with techs, but in truth i'm not very brave with phones. this one sounds too dicey, and i think i'll live with it as it is. i think i mentioned previously that it wasn't that important.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.