Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akuma

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2001
Saw this today and thought all would be interested....

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/21692.html

---from the above article----

"The new CPU will be offered at 800MHz, 1GHz, 1.2GHz, 1.4GHz and 1.6GHz, and while the first two are nominally aimed at the embedded space - the others are aimed straight at the desktop, we hear - we can see Apple using them as to transition over from the top end G4, the PowerPC 7450. "

-----------------------------

Hopefully this will come true..

---and yes, I know I spelt motorola wrong in the thread's subject line, major typo on my part.....

[Edited by akuma on 09-17-2001 at 10:33 AM]

Scab Cake

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2001
ARRRR...I hope these won't be released soon. I just paid $3200 for my first computer (G4 867 with 17" LCD, education pricing) and I'd hate to think that if I waited 4 months, I could have gotten a computer with much more horsepower. If these rumors come close to being true by the end of the year, I guess that means that I'll be ebay-ing it off. Eh, probably not, but oh well. It'll still kinda suck...only for me, not Apple in general. :)

akuma

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2001
i dig your webpage scab

[Edited by akuma on 09-17-2001 at 11:53 AM]

greenplasticcup

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2001
while I sympathize with you, you should know that anytime you buy a computer, you are destined for the next greatest thing coming up within a year. I wouldn't say that I hope that the upgrades aren't soon just so you feel better about your purchase.

That's the life of buying computers.

Sounds like you got a nice system.

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Suspicious

I've been looking around, this info is all over the web. Practically every mac news site has it, but they all found out about it from the register. Doesn't it seem a bit suspicious that only one site would have direct info about it?

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
Originally posted by Scab Cake
ARRRR...I hope these won't be released soon. I just paid $3200 for my first computer (G4 867 with 17" LCD, education pricing) and I'd hate to think that if I waited 4 months, I could have gotten a computer with much more horsepower. If these rumors come close to being true by the end of the year, I guess that means that I'll be ebay-ing it off. Eh, probably not, but oh well. It'll still kinda suck...only for me, not Apple in general. :)

I just did the same thing :-(

well... at least I love my G4

chassell

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2001
Twin Cities
Info source and performance

With Apple's recent crackdowns on leaks, it isn't too hard to imagine why you arn't seeing a ton of confirmation on this story, though a good portion of the information more or less matches up with other bits and pieces released by Motorola, Apple and others recently.

Anyone have a good take on what the longer pipeline will do to performance? Most people have been really disappointed with the Pentium 4 performance which is being blamed on the longer pipeline, and I'm wondering if we can expect a similar result with the G5 (though I wouldn't expect that dramatic of hit)

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
no, no it wont.

There is nothing wrong with a 10 stage pipeling as long as the performance per Mhz is still good.
And from what i we have heard the G5s is awesome.
The pentium 4s problem is it was released before they had finished it, the original design was pretty good. But because intel rushed the chip and did not follow the original design then they could not produce a chip to match the G4 or the Athlon.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
True

I'm back and worse then ever. Cause My imac is broke. If any one can help or knows ppeople that can reparir a imac in the Long Island area please e-mail me.

Using Crappy ibook rightg now... Help!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.