Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tim Flynn

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2003
Alberta
My guess is the 0.09 is just development work. Not production.
The 7457 is a 0.13 design and where is it. Motorola is having a hard enough time at 0.13 um. I've also heard that nobody will have 0.09 in production 'til into 2004.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by Tim Flynn
My guess is the 0.09 is just development work. Not production.
The 7457 is a 0.13 design and where is it. Motorola is having a hard enough time at 0.13 um. I've also heard that nobody will have 0.09 in production 'til into 2004.
I should have caught that when I checked the errata and qualification reports, but went based on the numbers in the first post. :(

Motorola has been having a tough time with the complex G4 throughout all the different process scaling nodes.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Motorola will be the last to get there, Whats new, the 970 is giving them a kick in the a-- and i have a feeling there will be many customers looking at the 970 and what IT can do vs G4's stuck,no developement stagnating crap! Motorola should get out of building chips if its heart isnt in it. Sad it took our beloved mac( steve) so darn long to figure this out.

Flynnstone

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Cold beer land
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
Motorola will be the last to get there.

I have to agree.
Most of Motorola's product goes into embedded. 68K, ColdFire, HC11s, HC12s etc. I think those are definitely bigger than 0.18 um.

mim

macrumors 6502
Originally posted by Flynnstone
I have to agree.
Most of Motorola's product goes into embedded. 68K, ColdFire, HC11s, HC12s etc. I think those are definitely bigger than 0.18 um.

Well, as not necessarily - as per the links posted on the last page (can't remember who it was...) thet certainly seem to have the will and resources to make it to 90nm and below quite quickly....but just not for their processors.

Rather than procs this may mean that we could be getting some quite nicely dense memory soon, developed from these partnerships of Moto's.

Flynnstone

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Cold beer land
Just in.. from Electronics News

Motorola Volume Ships Low-K MPUs

Online staff -- Electronic News, 6/2/2003

Motorola Inc. has reversed its low-k plans, today announcing volume MPU shipments of low-k insulating dielectric during the metallization process on 0.18-micron SOI, instead of its targeted 0.13-micron node.

Doing so allowed the Texas giant to begin shipping products manufactured at the 0.18 micron SOI process in Q1. Motorola still has plans to ship at 0.13-micron later this year, the company said.

Products manufactured at 0.18-micron, meanwhile, run up to 20 percent faster and at lower power than those made without it while maintaining high yields and reliability, Motorola claimed, withholding specifics. So far, the process has been applied to Motorola's PowerPC microprocessor products including the G4 PowerPC processor, Motorola's MPC 7455 and the recently introduced 7457.

"Motorola has developed several novel approaches to overcome the technical challenges associated with successfully integrating a low-k dielectric into its metallization process," Suresh Venkatesan, director of CMOS development in Motorola's Digital DNA labs, said in a statement. "The process utilizes a hydrogenated silicon oxycarbide (SICOH) film. While many semiconductor manufacturers are researching ways to implement SICOH-based solutions, Motorola was among the first to get volume microprocessor production to the marketplace using this SICOH process."

Motorola produced these products on 200mm wafers at its MOS-13 wafer fab in Austin.

I thought the 7457 was on 0.13
:confused:

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
> Flynnstone

There were some hints and leaks that the 7455B was going to be testing out a bunch of the 7457s process.

Probably why the 7455B chip is going through so many revisions.

Well probably be getting rev 3.4 7455Bs or later chips in the next batch of speed bumps -- that is if Apple is running the 3.3s right now.

---

If that's the case the 7457s should be around the corner, unless they hit another brick wall when FABing the .13 chips.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Say what you may but motorola has hurt apple this past few years from stagnation. Its Great they finally got off their A-- and are making this advancement but when you look at the 970 vs g4(even 7457) the 970 is going to be way out in front. Motorola finally finding the clutch and shifting gears. Too little to late.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.