Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
That is a handsome, mature looking modern smartphone. I'm very interested. I wonder what it's Achilles heel is? (ALL androids have one, of course, that makes it a deal killer).

A lot of people didnt like Motorola Blur UI. However that's all but gone since the og Razr. I personally think moto is going the right direction with a lighter skin and apps like moto cast and smart actions.

Be nice if it had a larger battery though.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
A lot of people didnt like Motorola Blur UI. However that's all but gone since the og Razr. I personally think moto is going the right direction with a lighter skin and apps like moto cast and smart actions.

Be nice if it had a larger battery though.

yeah the orginal blur UI was pretty crappy. If you follow blur's history you will see that they have been pulling stuff out of it over time and going closer to stock. Android 2.2 was the closes to stock of the skins and if you keep following it you will see they kept pulling more out of it going closer to stock.

ICS blur is almost exactly like stock ICS. Now I have been running a 3rd party launcher on my phone so for the most part I do not see anything much of blur.

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States
The new Atrix is ok, but i've been burned too many times by Moto to ever trust their phones again. Their radio's are good, but everything else is kinda blah. Good specs for the price, but will they all work well. When you are stuck with a phone for 2 years, it's better to pony up the extra cash to get the GSIII or the HTC One X. Both can be found cheaper than their list price on contract from the carrier and they are better than the Moto stuff.

redred

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2012
Dude...did u even read the post I was quoting??:confused:

I didn't say anything about it being a flop. He said the next iPhone was going to have a huge design change. I said that with all the rumors pointing to a phone that looks almost identical to the 4S, but stretched, it is very possible that the next iPhone will NOT have a huge design change. I for one hope that the rumored pics and mocks are incorrect because I do not want a 16:9 display. I want both wider and taller with a 4" screen. But with that being said, I will still be preordering the second it goes live regardless of what it looks like...unless it was a total flop, which it won't be. And yes, it will break all past sales records.

So next time, please read what is written before coming back with incorrect info. :rolleyes:

----------

That "bump" is for the camera.

You're mistaken. Matto said if the iPhone 5 isn't a flop. GTA said that it was near impossible for it to flop. You said 'umm.....very possible'. You were implying that there was even a possibility that the next iPhone will be a flop, and I'm telling you yet again that that is impossible. A 4" screen and LTE will be enough to satisfy most, not all, consumers.

----------

Also, I think this should be in the Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion Subforum.

Can we stop with this mentality right now? Every time a serious iPhone competitor hits the market, someone tries to start a thread in the iPhone section and someone makes this point. I totally disagree. AIID isn't nearly as frequented as the iPhone section plus I feel serious iPhone competition (essentially flagship devices) should have their own dedicated thread in this section because inevitably we comparing said device with the iPhone. It's all related back to the iPhone.

So no, please don't move these discussions to AIID and please stop saying we should. I started a thread for the SIII before it's release, the mods moved it to AIID, and sure enough someone else simply wrote 'SIII vs. iPhone' or whatever and it's still active to this day.

Last edited by a moderator:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
The new Atrix is ok, but i've been burned too many times by Moto to ever trust their phones again. Their radio's are good, but everything else is kinda blah. Good specs for the price, but will they all work well. When you are stuck with a phone for 2 years, it's better to pony up the extra cash to get the GSIII or the HTC One X. Both can be found cheaper than their list price on contract from the carrier and they are better than the Moto stuff.

Sorry about your experience. I've always been very happy with Motorola products. I've found them to work well and be very durable to misuse. My g/f is back to her OG Droid after breaking the iPhone I bought her because she didn't know she couldn't keep it in her back pocket like her Droid...sold it on Craigslist for a substantial loss....Don't ask me how the Droid holds up but it just does. I think their products are good value too, if you look on ifixit teardowns they use a lot of brand name stuff that they don't need to even down to capacitors and such. And things like cornings gorilla glass.

Things I don't like is they are slow with updates. There phones do get updated but it seems much longer then other manufactures. And I don't like the locked boot loaders however I know that Verizon is the ones that wanted it locked...

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Can we stop with this mentality right now?

No we shouldn't stop with this mentality.

This is the IPHONE!!!! section, so maybe most users come here to either discuss the iPhone or get information about the iPhone; this section's purpose is negated if perusers have to navigate around 10 troll bait threads about so-called competitors.

However, it's obvious these type of posts are about inciting reactions and having a captive audience.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
No we shouldn't stop with this mentality.

This is the IPHONE!!!! section, so maybe most users come here to either discuss the iPhone or get information about the iPhone; this section's purpose is negated if perusers have to navigate around 10 troll bait threads about so-called competitors.

However, it's obvious these type of posts are about inciting reactions and having a captive audience.

Mods have been made aware time and time again. They say it flies. But by all means, keep banging your heads against a wall.

While I agree that a lot of these threads eventually veer towards "trolling and flaming", I would beg to differ about your assertion that they are all designed in this way. The vast majority of Android and WP7 threads I have seen have been started in an incredibly neutral way and flaming and trolling is rarely perpetuated by the OP.

My opinion? If you think you see trolling on either side, report it, and don't respond to a post. Nothing kills a troll faster than lack of recognition.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
You're mistaken. Matto said if the iPhone 5 isn't a flop. GTA said that it was near impossible for it to flop. You said 'umm.....very possible'. You were implying that there was even a possibility that the next iPhone will be a flop, and I'm telling you yet again that that is impossible. A 4" screen and LTE will be enough to satisfy most, not all, consumers.

----------

Can we stop with this mentality right now? Every time a serious iPhone competitor hits the market, someone tries to start a thread in the iPhone section and someone makes this point. I totally disagree. AIID isn't nearly as frequented as the iPhone section plus I feel serious iPhone competition (essentially flagship devices) should have their own dedicated thread in this section because inevitably we comparing said device with the iPhone. It's all related back to the iPhone.

So no, please don't move these discussions to AIID and please stop saying we should. I started a thread for the SIII before it's release, the mods moved it to AIID, and sure enough someone else simply wrote 'SIII vs. iPhone' or whatever and it's still active to this day.

^^Please don't feed this troll.

Jb07

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2011
Dallas

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with the mods moving your thread. No need to get angry in your post.
I said "I think..." so, in my opinion, it should be in AIID because it is the Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion forum. You can think differently.

redred

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2012
I feel strongly that we should allow flagship devices to be discussed in the iPhone section. Any discussion about said devices will inevitably be compared to the iPhone by someone in the thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.