Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
hmm if your stuck in the middle of nowhere and u dont know where u are, it'dd be a great tool...unless your ibook or whatever goes dead lol...
but hopefully it wont be used for the US gov to track your every move:eek:

Soma_Addict

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2002
GPS cant track you

a GPS chip doesnt broadcast your location. a GPS device triangulates your position using satilites broadcasts. the devices themselves dont transmit, they only receive.

and furthermore, GPS on your cellphone would be pretty cool. check out http://www.geocaching.com to see one of the cool recreational uses for GPS.

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
My new Sprint PCS phone contains a tiny GPS receiver. Qualcomm makes it. It uses an interesting (but obvious) technique where the phone receives the GPS signals, but also uses signals from the cell sites to refine the measurement similarly to the way Differential GPS works. The towers are at fixed, well-established geographic locations, so the chip can use signals from the towers to refine its calculation of your position.

Unfortunately, there are currently no apps I can use to access this GPS data myself on the phone. It's just used to tell 911 where I am should I ever have to call them.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I have a hand held GPS that I take with me on trips, whether its camping or not. Its great to have but mostly just a toy in the city.

But one thing this article doesn't mention is the friggin antenna! Its still receiving data from satellites, so it has to see them - which means outdoors. Having a GPS card on your computer is fine, but doesn't really serve much purpose unless you use if for accurate time keeping...

D

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Did you guys read the last bit about how Motorola is outsourcing the production to IBM? Dang, why didn't they do that for the G4??? We'd be at 2 ghz by now, at least.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.