Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gto55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
Tel Aviv
DSC_0299.jpg

DSC_0286.jpg

DSC_0292.jpg

DSC_0296.jpg

----------

Motorola RAZR M 4G LTE official: 4.3-inch qHD display, 1.5GHz dual-core, hitting Verizon for $99

By Dana Wollman posted Sep 5th 2012 2:30PM

post_icon_pr.gif

Gosh, it feels like we're written this post already, huh? That's because we have. That handset you see up there is the Motorola RAZR M 4G LTE, which we've already seen in leaked photos. Well, Motorola just officially announced the phone and -- surprise, surprise -- there are no surprises. As we reported last week, the device has a 4.3-inch qHD (960 x 540) Super AMOLED Advanced display coated in Gorilla Glass. (The rear side is fashioned out of the same Kevlar you'll find on the Droid RAZR and RAZR Maxx.) As you can see, the phone has nearly edge-to-edge glass with narrow bezels, which brings us to one of the phone's key selling points: it offers a good deal of screen real estate for a phone with such petite dimensions.
Under the hood it packs a dual-core Qualcomm MSM8960 Snaddragon S4 processor coupled with 1GB of RAM. The handset also boasts an 8-megapixel rear camera capable of recording 1080p video, a 3MP front-facing shooter, GSM / UMTS / HSPA+ global roaming and 8GB of internal storage, along with a microSD slot. Additionally, the phone has an NFC radio and will ship with Android 4.0. And while the other two Moto phones announced today are coming this holiday season, this guy is arriving next week for $99, though it's up for pre-order today.

Motorola Droid RAZR HD unveiled: 4.7-inch 720p display, dual-core S4 for Verizon

By Joseph Volpe posted Sep 5th 2012 2:26PM
Breaking News

It's been a day of big smartphone reveals, but Motorola's not one to let the glory shine too long upon rivals. At its press event today in New York City, the Google-owned manufacturer gave the public its first official look at the Droid RAZR HD. Unless you've been living off the grid, it's hard to find much about this announcement fresh and / or exciting, as specs, photos, tutorials, FCC docs and even sample pics have been leaking since the start of April. Surprise already blown, the handset falls in line with previous reports,bearing a 4.7-inch 720p display, dual-core Snapdragon S4 processor clocked at 1.5GHz, 8-megapixel rear camera, NFC, as well as a massive 2,500mAh battery.
So, what's changed in this RAZR refresh? Well, the phone's back may still be Kevlar-coated (in this case, it's pretty much fully wrapped), but a few cosmetic differences have been made to the Droid RAZR HD's body. For starters, its front face almost spans from edge to edge, with just a little bit of bezel surrounding that display. Dimensions-wise, it's 131.9mm tall, 67.9 mm wide and still pretty darn thin. It's definitely a coup for design-focused consumers that prefer to have their devices appear as a sea of seamless black glass. While it'll be lingering on Verizon's 4G network, we're still waiting on pricing -- but it will arrive "before the holidays."

Scrub175

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2012
Port St Lucie FL
The droid life live stream indicated the ending of the event was a big thud. Not near the energy or ending I would expect from a Moto/Google event. Perhaps the time of keep the two entities separate is over... I love the Moto designs and Google has a great flagship for hardware why not work together closely.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
Good god Motorola phones are ugly.

Android phones are "Damned if you do and Damned if you don't" by iPhone lovers. If it doesn't look like an iPhone, it's ugly. If it does look like an iPhone, it's a copy cat. Most people put a case on their phone anyway, negating the naked look of the phone. I find this comical with the iFaithful. I run my S3 naked, because I think it looks awesome and don't have any issues with scratches, dents or a glass back breaking.

The biggest problem with that first phone is 8gb of internal storage, only 1gb of RAM and not running JB. I thought Google bought these guys. All Motorola phones should be shipping with the latest OS. The 8gb of internal storage is really bad though. This means only 6gb will actually be available to the user, and while some apps and files can be pushed to an external sd card, not all can be, nor would you want to. 16gb is really to little these days.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Android phones are "Damned if you do and Damned if you don't" by iPhone lovers. If it doesn't look like an iPhone, it's ugly. If it does look like an iPhone, it's a copy cat. Most people put a case on their phone anyway, negating the naked look of the phone. I find this comical with the iFaithful. I run my S3 naked, because I think it looks awesome and don't have any issues with scratches, dents or a glass back breaking.

Agreed. Those folks are so annoying.

Anyway, those Motorola phones are butt ugly.

Prototypical

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Nebraska
Requirement: removable battery

Indeed. Considering Android fanboys love to beat Apple people over the head about this, you'd think a removable battery would be a must.

...especially since you're probably going to have do a do a battery pull or two in the time you own it. ;)

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
Indeed. Considering Android fanboys love to beat Apple people over the head about this, you'd think a removable battery would be a must.

...especially since you're probably going to have do a do a battery pull or two in the time you own it. ;)

not for that reason but so you can add an extended battery

THEAnonymous

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2008
I'm sorry, but this just is not an attractive offering, especially compared to what Nokia offered this morning.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

They have a battery pull similar to Apple. With moto it's volume up + power. I do it on my iPhone just as much as I did on my OG Razr.

I'm torn between a removable battery or not. The phone looks better without but it's really nice being able to swap in a fresh battery or if you don't do that at least having the simple option to swap out a battery when it's at the end of its life span.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Bad design, Pentile, ICS, crappy skin.

Definitely the worser smartphone announcement of the day.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Judging by the pictures posted here, I don't think they look that bad. They aren't going to have the sexy look of the iPhone, but they're alright by me.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas

The biggest problem with that first phone is 8gb of internal storage, only 1gb of RAM and not running JB. I thought Google bought these guys. All Motorola phones should be shipping with the latest OS. The 8gb of internal storage is really bad though. This means only 6gb will actually be available to the user, and while some apps and files can be pushed to an external sd card, not all can be, nor would you want to. 16gb is really to little these days.

8GBs is more than enough since it also comes with a microSD slot. Android apps are really not that heavy unless you're thinking of games which store all the heavy files on your external microSD card.

Throw a 64GB card in there and you're good to go

TG1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
For me, the biggest shortcomings on the current Razr/Razr Maxx are the display and the camera. If the new screens are like the new Atrix HD with ColorBoost, I'll be very happy. Hope they've improved camera quality as well.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
We should hold our judgment on the display until it further reviewed. It is HD, the previous Razr was 256 ppi, while the Atrix HD was 325 ppi. So I'd assume it's as good if not better.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Lord almighty those phones are hideous.

I'll need to look at some Lumia 920 pics to wash that taste out my eyes.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
8GBs is more than enough since it also comes with a microSD slot. Android apps are really not that heavy unless you're thinking of games which store all the heavy files on your external microSD card.

Throw a 64GB card in there and you're good to go

Please read my last 2 sentences. And external sd card is very useful, but you simply can't put everything on it and 6gb internal goes quick. Not saying it can't be done, but why limit yourself to begin with. It's a bad design flaw, especially since 32gb of memory is cheap.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Please read my last 2 sentences. And external sd card is very useful, but you simply can't put everything on it and 6gb internal goes quick. Not saying it can't be done, but why limit yourself to begin with. It's a bad design flaw, especially since 32gb of memory is cheap.

I admit my Xoom is 32 gb and I have a 64 gb card. I keep all my media on the card which with movies has about 20 gb left. Aside from that everything is on internal memory. Which I have about 18 gb left. However once you are out of internal memory it's a real pita.

I don't consider that a design flaw though. What I consider a design flaw was allowing Verizon to lock the boot loader. With it locked tight I wouldn't consider any phone anymore.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
I did read the last 2 lines but like I said apps don't really require a lot of space. 8GB internal memory is a lot for apps. I have over 150+ apps (this does not include the Internal rom) and I've barely cracked 1GB . The largest is only 54 mb. I mean seriously, how many apps do you plan on storing on your phone?

It would be different if it didn't have an external memory slot.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
It's bad enough that these phones are hideous, but that carrier branding is just disgusting to look at.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.