Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Mobile Gazette has published what it claims to be a picture of the upcoming Motorola iTunes enabled phone. Based on the description, however, it appears that it may simply be a mock up:

However, Motorola are fairly notorious for leaking out information before the official product launch and there now appears to be enough intelligence to put together a picture.

Some_Big_Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
New York, NY
Seems weird that Apple would let this half-assed attempt pass thier muster. Apple will get Moto's stink on them if this is the final. Hasn't Moto hurt Apple enough? :rolleyes:

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
Yea, it just looks like a phone. I hope they have something at least unique-looking planned, otherwise its gonna flop because relatively few people will likely even know it has iTunes on it.

one3

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2004
Vancouver-ish
Motorola Design vs Apple Design

Here is a quick drawing I made of the new Motorola phone (using same formfactor as shown on Mobile Gazette) but assuming Apple had actually designed it.

phone.jpg

PS. Yes, I know I'm missing the letters on the keypad ... this is just meant as a quick mockup so I didn't bother with that detail ... just please pretend they are there. :)

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Meh, it looks like a rehash of this one, and both looked like recolored photos of existing models.

At CeBIT, Moto mentioned a second iTunes model they are calling ROKR, that may even end up being released earlier than E790. Going by the name alone, I would expect something with more of a family resemblance to the RAZR model.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
It's definitely a fake, all they've done is inverted the colours of an image of an existing phone.
It looks too similar to some Sony Ericsson phones too.

Jmitch

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2004
I don't see mobile phones overtaking portable music players for a while. There isn't enough capacity on phones to store the music that can be stored in an 60gb iPod.

The way I see it is that mobile phones won't replace people's portable listening devices until Apple or someone has realized the potential of subscription streaming. Once this is implemented then I see phones becoming the single personal device that everyone takes around for communication and music. But I don't see hard drives in phones. They would be too bulky.

DesertMacGuy

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2005
Phoenix, Arizona
Jmitch said:
The way I see it is that mobile phones won't replace people's portable listening devices until Apple or someone has realized the potential of subscription streaming. Once this is implemented then I see phones becoming the single personal device that everyone takes around for communication and music. But I don't see hard drives in phones. They would be too bulky.

Actually, Phone Scoop has some info on the Samsung SGH-i300, which is a GSM phone with a 3 GB hard drive in it, though they noted that "Samsung has a very poor track record of actually releasing high-end GSM phones with industry-leading features like the i300." It's hard to say exactly how big the phone is but it doesn't look too much larger than some of the other Samsung candy-bar style phones I've seen. Of course, the real problem with this thing is that it uses the Windows Mobile Smartphone OS... :(

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Jmitch said:
I don't see mobile phones overtaking portable music players for a while. There isn't enough capacity on phones to store the music that can be stored in an 60gb iPod.

Subscription streaming. Over whose network? The GSM/CDMA/etc networks? Not bloody well likely! Do you comprehend how much it costs to send 1MB of data across those networks?!? Some wide-band WiFi? Not likely for several years. The Internet? How would this be useful if you have to be near a WiFi or ethernet jack for it to work?

A nice idea, but at least half a decade away, if not significantly more. The phone companies are having a hard enough time supporting current traffic on their networks; they don't have the resources to be upsizing sufficient for a significant portion of their subscriber base to be constantly downloading tunes!

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Hopefully the information is trial balloon. Wanting critique to further assist in development.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Poff said:
It's an E398.

motorola_e398_1.jpg

I was gonna mention the same thing if you didn't.

That phone already exists. Someone just made it white and added a button. Not difficult stuff for some idiot to do.

And I don't think Apple has anything to do with the design of the phone, so I don't know why so many people are surprised why its so unApple-like.

Machead III

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2002
UK, France
How about Apple just scraps motorola altogether and makes the phone all by themselves? Hell knows M just about the worst damn mobile phone manufacturers around right now.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
I'm not a big fan of the candybar shaped phone. And I just got a new one that has multimedia capabilities. So iTunes will have to wait until it can be offered with these items as well. And I have a MiniPod, but that will give the phone time to get better.

neildmitchell

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2005
iTunes phone...

Optimistic point of view :rolleyes:
I hope that Apple releases the iTunes phone in a Palm Treo fashion.
I think a smart phone is the way to go for Apple.
Apple iWork to Go (PDA version of iWork) vs. Documents to Go
As Paris Hilton would say "Thats Hot"

Cynicle point of view :mad:
A candy bar or flip phone with iTunes, no thanks:(
I can see the nightly news with stories on a huge accident or emergency and nobody called for help, because everyones phone was dead because they listen to music on it and have forgotten to recharge the phone the previous night. "What if there was an accident and nobody came" :p

Mr Maui

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2002
Machead III said:
How about Apple just scraps motorola altogether and makes the phone all by themselves? Hell knows M just about the worst damn mobile phone manufacturers around right now.

Personally, I'd like them to update the Powerbook and hit 3 GHz on the Powermacs before focusing on phones. The iPod has already shoved computers to the back burner for quite some time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.