Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2001
The G4 has been sent packing....

Motorola is pleased to announce the transfer of final test of the MPC744x and MPC745x (Vger and Apollo product lines) from Motorola BAT-1 Austin, Texas to Motorola Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (KLM). All test, burn in, and inspection process flows and equipment will remain the same. The transfer to KLM is a factory consolidation as a result of the closure of the BAT1 factory. Vger product lines will begin test in KLM in June of 2002. Apollo product lines will begin test in KLM in July 2002.

Proof: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&safe=off&q=Motorola+Kuala+Lumpur+MPC745x

Did they send the G4 packing because Apple is going IBM? Discuss, speculate, fight and bicker as needed. :D

Dave

UnixMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
Re: Motorola Sends The G4 Packing!

Did they send the G4 packing because Apple is going IBM? Discuss, speculate, fight and bicker as needed. :D

Dave [/B]

I think they did it to save money, plain and simple......this is the trend for the past two decades.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
I must not be fully comprehending what this means... to me it just sounds like they're moving production to another plant.

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
I agree, it sounds like they are merely moving production to another facility. The Apollo is a big hit for Motorola the last I had heard, so I'd sincerely doubt that they've cut it.

nixd2001

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2002
UK
Originally posted by Hemingray
I must not be fully comprehending what this means... to me it just sounds like they're moving production to another plant.

Sure sounds like they've just changed where they build them. It's certainly not an announcement about discontinuinng production.
Seems a bit of non-news to me.

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
...a long time ago...

... I machined parts for a company that made lead frame trim and form machines. Motorola was their biggest customer. Most of the machines went to Malaysia.

What this generally meant then was that the production was generally trouble free and in volume.

The only speculation I would make from this is that capacity would be freed up for ramp up of follow on parts (7470?) and that prices on G4's might drop to a price favorable to inclusion in iBooks.

Other than these observations...I'll hold on to my $.02 for awhile...

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A
This has nothing to do with IBM.

"Final Test" refers to verification of completed parts after they have finished the manufacturing process. They are simply relocating this portion of the process to a different facility (most likely to save money).

"Burn-in" generally involves putting the chip through its paces for a short length of time to work out any potential failures.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.