Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jethro!

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 4, 2015
I just got a new iPod Touch. I got the 256GB version because I intend to use the extra space as a portable hard drive. However, I was shocked (as if I should be) to discover that Cook-era Apple has mysteriously failed to allow "enable disk use" for the Touch, as was possible for virtually every other iPod before it. So out of the box I can't use it the way I thought I could. I should temper my surprise and disgust by remembering that Cook-era Apple is rife with retardedness. So...

Anyone know of any way to mount the Touch as a hard drive on the desktop?

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Hi, if I remember correctly the iPod touch models never supported this function. Only non-iOS iPods were usable as external disks. This is probably tied into iOS and the way it handles partitions making it unfeasible for Apple to enable it. They could've included it if they wanted, but it appears they never have, and it's unclear whether they ever will.

Reactions: Jethro!

Jethro!

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 4, 2015
Hi, if I remember correctly the iPod touch models never supported this function. Only non-iOS iPods were usable as external disks. This is probably tied into iOS and the way it handles partitions making it unfeasible for Apple to enable it. They could've included it if they wanted, but it appears they never have, and it's unclear whether they ever will.
Thank you. I'm discovering the iPouch Touch has little to do with previous iPod generations. It's more like a phone-less iPhone than an iPod. Apple shouldn't brand the Touch as an iPod since it doesn't bring the same functionality as previous ones. It doesn't work like I thought it would.

Reactions: retta283

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Thank you. I'm discovering the iPouch Touch has little to do with previous iPod generations. It's more like a phone-less iPhone than an iPod. Apple shouldn't brand the Touch as an iPod since it doesn't bring the same functionality as previous ones. It doesn't work like I thought it would.
Yeah, it's too bad. I love the old iPod line, excellent products. The Touch does not have the same level of non-iOS functionality. Less about music, more about being an internet device. It's more like an iPhone Lite or iPhone mini than a real iPod.

iDron

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2010
Dude in what century are you living? The iPod touch has been like that for its entire existence, and I think all
iPod models that were released since also don’t allow mounting as a hard drive.

might have been possible with an iPod in 2004, but that’s got nothing to do with “the cool era”

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
However, I was shocked (as if I should be) to discover that Cook-era Apple has mysteriously failed to allow "enable disk use" for the Touch...
This has absolutely nothing to do with Tim Cook; iPod Touch models were available before Steve Jobs died, and they didn't offer the option to work as an external hard disk then, either.

Jethro!

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 4, 2015
Dude in what century are you living? The iPod touch has been like that for its entire existence, and I think all
iPod models that were released since also don’t allow mounting as a hard drive.

might have been possible with an iPod in 2004, but that’s got nothing to do with “the cool era”
Huh? This is my first iPod Touch. Everything has been "regular" iPod before this. I'm learning the Touch is not really an iPod, but more an iPhone without the calling capabilities. Apple shouldn't have branded this an iPod, because it's not really one.

Jethro!

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 4, 2015
This has absolutely nothing to do with Tim Cook; iPod Touch models were available before Steve Jobs died, and they didn't offer the option to work as an external hard disk then, either.
Of course it does. Tim could add this functionality today.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Of course it does. Tim could add this functionality today.
The iPod Touch is a niche item that barely sells and barely gets updated– the current model is well over a year old and the previous one sold for just short of 4 years. Changing how this feature works would be a fundamental shift in how iOS is designed, and it would make little sense to spend time and money on changing functionality for the iPod.

Jethro!

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 4, 2015
The iPod Touch is a niche item that barely sells and barely gets updated– the current model is well over a year old and the previous one sold for just short of 4 years. Changing how this feature works would be a fundamental shift in how iOS is designed, and it would make little sense to spend time and money on changing functionality for the iPod.
Now that I know it's just an iOS device (not really an iPod), they could make all iOS devices mountable. Why not? Of course the answer is likely in TC Apple hubris -- we don't do it that way, so neither will you.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Great info in this thread so far - didn't know the touch could not be mounted as a disk, though I could have just guessed this knowing how iphones operate. As I my 1 tb classic has been getting heavy use as a spare drive for media, I find it a very useful feature.

Jethro!

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 4, 2015
Great info in this thread so far - didn't know the touch could not be mounted as a disk, though I could have just guessed this knowing how iphones operate. As I my 1 tb classic has been getting heavy use as a spare drive for media, I find it a very useful feature.
Yes, it's one of the main reasons I got the Touch -- to use as an external drive. It's how I used all my previous iPods. Really ticked to learn Apple (used to be Computers) intentionally disabled or left this out. Shouldn't be surprised, though. That said, I've discovered a third-party app that kinda sorta lets you use the Touch as an external drive. Plus the Files feature kinda sorta does that, too. But not as an external drive mounted on the desktop.

The Touch should not be branded as an iPod.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.