Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zerolight

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
Glasgow
So I thought I'd share this as I've just gotten this to work - my 7yo son is getting his pump fitted on Tues and we have it at home so I can experience what his life will soon be like, always connected.

Anyway - as usual, the medtronic site checks the OSX version a refuses to let the pump connect to 10.8 - only allowing support for 10.7 or less. I gather it took close to a year before they let 10.7 on.

Anyway, you can bypass this needless limitation by enabling the develop menu in Safari, then going to user agent and choosing Safari 6, Mac. Initially I still failed to get the applet to load, until I noticed a dialog box to confirm I wanted to allow the applet to run was behind my browser window. Anyway, that's all you need for you pumpers wanting to keep carelink and Mountain Lion.

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
So I thought I'd share this as I've just gotten this to work - my 7yo son is getting his pump fitted on Tues and we have it at home so I can experience what his life will soon be like, always connected.
I don't use Carelink (I have an Accu-Chek Pump), but I can say switching to an insulin pump was long overdue for me.

I was diagnosed with T1 diabetes relatively late (early 20's) and held off on getting an insulin pump for years - doing MDI 6+ times a day.

Having an insulin pump, although it is always connected, makes managing diabetes easier and the control I get from it is well worth the effort.

Also of benefit is not having to use syringes out in public.

Good luck to you and your son.

joe999w

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2013
Medtronic CareLink and OS X Mavericks

Just an update to this thread...the CareLink website is exhibiting the same behavior if you upgrade to OS X 10.9 (Mavericks). It says that you are not on a supported system, blah, blah, blah. As before, using the developer menu and a user agent of Safari 6.1 solves that issue. With that figured out, I've run into a different problem though. Either, (a) Mavericks does not detect the wireless USB dongle that communicates with the pump or (b) the CareLink website is stupid and refuses to recognize USB devices from any OS above 10.8. My guess is the latter. Anyone else run into this?

zerolight

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
Glasgow
Same here. The dongle shows up under the USB devices as "Composite Device" which clearly Carelink is not expecting.

mikemadden

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2013
Same here. The dongle shows up under the USB devices as "Composite Device" which clearly Carelink is not expecting.

Having the same problem. I recall having similar issues after one of the previous system upgrades, and it was only fixed when a new version of Java was pushed out. But if anyone has a better idea for how to get it to work, that'd be helpful.

For what it's worth: I have one of the Contour NextLink devices that can also be used to upload pump data (it can talk to the pump and also plugs in by USB, though I don't use it as a meter), and that isn't working under Mavericks, either.

Arlenie

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2013
Mavericks and Medtronic Carelink

This thread is quite old but as far as I know the problem persists. I was able to work around it by running Firefox v.25 with a User Agent using Firefox 24 for Windows (on my iMac) and it worked until I foolishly upgraded Firefox and now it no longer works. According to Medtronic each Carelink upgrade has to be approved by the FDA. I had to dig up an old Windows netbook to upload my pump data. If anyone has figured out a workaround please post it.

:(

mikemadden

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2013
This thread is quite old but as far as I know the problem persists. I was able to work around it by running Firefox v.25 with a User Agent using Firefox 24 for Windows (on my iMac) and it worked until I foolishly upgraded Firefox and now it no longer works. According to Medtronic each Carelink upgrade has to be approved by the FDA. I had to dig up an old Windows netbook to upload my pump data. If anyone has figured out a workaround please post it.

:(

I had cloned my 10.8.5 system on an external hard drive and was able to boot from that to upload -- hoping they fix soon, no other workaround that I know of. In 10.9, the Mac doesn't seem to recognize the Carelink device as being plugged in...

Alice300

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2014
I have OS X 10.9.4 and have had this problem of getting Carelink to be recognised.
On the phone they said because both my USB ports were 3.0 it wouldn't work because the Carelink USB is only compatible with 2.0 ports.

So I bought a 2.0 USB hub ($20) which plugged into my Mac's USB port and it worked. Super easy and problem is sorted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.