Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mhunt407

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2017
Bristol, UK
Hey guys,

I've recently got ML 10.8.5 running on my MacBook Pro 2,2 using MPF.

I know Skype has thrown ML into the scrap heap recently, but I wondered if anyone had discovered a workaround? I know in the past bundle strings could be changed to get older versions of Skype working on PPC - does anyone have experience with it on ML?

Thanks in advance!

mhunt407

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2017
Bristol, UK
Just incase anyone else has this issue I found a fix here on the Skype communities...

----------

Step 1
  1. Quit Skype
  2. Go to Applications Folder in Finder and Right Click on the Skype icon
  3. Select "Show Package Contents"
  4. Click on Info.plist
  5. Scroll Down until you locate Locate these 3 lines:
</array>

<key>CFBundleVersion</key>

<string>6.15.0.335</string>

Replace with:

</array>

<string>7.36.0.507</string>

6. Then go to File and click on Save, or press Command+S
7. Re-open Skype

Step 2

If that doesn't work, then Remove all of the current skype files from your computer. To completely uninstall, and then reinstall Skype for Mac:
  1. Open your Applications folder and drag your copy of Skype to the trash.
  2. Then open ~/Library/Application Support * and drag the Skype folder to the trash. The ~sign represents your home folder. To find your home folder, open Finder and, from the menu bar, select Go > Home.
Important: If you’d like to keep your chat and call history, skip the following step.
  1. Open ~/Library/Preferences and drag com.skype.skype.plist to the trash.
  2. Open Finder and search for “Skype” using the search feature in Mac OS X. Move all of the results returned to the trash.
  3. Empty Trash.
  4. Restart your computer.
Step 3

Download from a safe website Skype Version 6.15 for Mac.

Step 4

Install Skype by double clicking on the downloaded file and dragging the Skype icon to the applications folder and Repeat Step 1.

Then go to Applications, Open Skype and Log In.

Reactions: eximious and ZapNZs

averlief

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2017
Just incase anyone else has this issue I found a fix here on the Skype communities...

----------

Step 1
  1. Quit Skype
  2. Go to Applications Folder in Finder and Right Click on the Skype icon
  3. Select "Show Package Contents"
  4. Click on Info.plist
  5. Scroll Down until you locate Locate these 3 lines:
</array>

<string>6.15.0.335</string>

Replace with:

</array>

<string>7.36.0.507</string>

6. Then go to File and click on Save, or press Command+S
7. Re-open Skype

Step 2

If that doesn't work, then Remove all of the current skype files from your computer. To completely uninstall, and then reinstall Skype for Mac:
  1. Open your Applications folder and drag your copy of Skype to the trash.
  2. Then open ~/Library/Application Support * and drag the Skype folder to the trash. The ~sign represents your home folder. To find your home folder, open Finder and, from the menu bar, select Go > Home.
Important: If you’d like to keep your chat and call history, skip the following step.
  1. Open ~/Library/Preferences and drag com.skype.skype.plist to the trash.
  2. Open Finder and search for “Skype” using the search feature in Mac OS X. Move all of the results returned to the trash.
  3. Empty Trash.
  4. Restart your computer.
Step 3

Download from a safe website Skype Version 6.15 for Mac.

Step 4

Install Skype by double clicking on the downloaded file and dragging the Skype icon to the applications folder and Repeat Step 1.

Then go to Applications, Open Skype and Log In.
Hi, you've no idea how beneficial this has been for me. I recently downgraded my operating system from OSX Mavericks to OSX Mountain Lion and discovered that my version of Skype would not work. I did what you suggested and finally managed to sign in to Skype. Thanks very much; I'm very grateful.

Reactions: mhunt407

Princess Cake

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2010
Cheboygan, MI
I did Step 2 and changed the info.plist but I wind up at this screen when attempting to login >.>

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 7.03.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 7.03.08 AM.png
    52.2 KB · Views: 1,133

cyberish

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2013
I did Step 2 and changed the info.plist but I wind up at this screen when attempting to login >.>
I just stumbled upon the same problem. Now updating the info.plist file to
<string>8.15.0.4</string>
and mentioning 10.8 as the minimum system requirements did the job! (I did that on the 6.15(4) Mac version of Skype)

Reactions: eximious
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.