Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

azpc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
1. Forced use of versions - I would like to turn off this feature for several apps.

2. Loss of Save As (Save As did two things easily, new name, new location).

3. Forced use of Resume - I'd like to turn this irritation off!

4. Option to eliminate in system prefs "reopen windows next time".

5. Forced Automatic Application Termination - need check box to turn off.

6. Forced grayscale icons in Finder sidebar. Need option for colored icons.

7. Restore Quick Look - zoom in on pdfs.

8. Columns that resize properly in "Kind View".

9. Forced loss of scroll arrows - need option to restore.

10. No option to set mouse acceleration - need to set both speed and curve.

11. No option to set Zoom button behavior. Developers are inconsistent in how it is implemented.

Last edited:

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
About 4 of those sound like deal breakers to me. Hopefully these are just things they'll touch up on with later releases. What's with the forced use of versions for Apps? Can you elaborate on how that works?

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Sounds more like worst Lion features that have been carried over...for now.

azpc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
Exactly

I like most of the new Mountain Lion features. However, the deal killer at this point in time is the lack of options to moderate the behavior of the 11 items listed above.

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
1. Forced use of versions - I would like to turn off this feature for several apps.

6. Forced grayscale icons in Finder sidebar. Need option for colored icons.

7. Restore Quick Look - zoom in on pdfs.

8. Columns that resize properly in "Kind View".

9. Forced loss of scroll arrows - need option to restore.

10. No option to set mouse acceleration - need to set both speed and curve.

11. No option to set Zoom button behavior. Developers are inconsistent in how it is implemented.

So no more "turn off resume" :( What if I was watching nrop :eek:

Riemann Zeta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
So wait, 10.8 takes all of the annoying crap from Lion that could be disabled (aside from the stupid auto-save, which is still irksome) and makes it all 100% mandatory? Sounds like Linux and FreeBSD will be the only Operating Systems left that permit computers to do computer-y things and are made for desktop-like usage, not for phones and internet appliances.

holden57

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2009

This an MC are the main things that have kept me from Lion.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
So no more "turn off resume" :( What if I was watching nrop :eek:
You can probably still use the lock folder trick; simply then lock your "~/Library/Saved Application State" folder after removing everything inside. If there are some apps that you would like to use Resume with (I use it for browsers and Finder mostly) then you can leave their folders in place, or unlock the state folder next time you run them so they can create a folder.

You can also use the same trick to block Resume on specific apps by finding their saved state and locking just that folder, after emptying it, so that application only won't be able to save its windows.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
It's like you read my mind...

To the OP. I haven't tried 10.8 yet but your list is almost exactly what I would have listed for 10.7.

Particularly points 7 and 8. Although minor they drive me crazy and I thought I was the only one who noticed or cared...

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
'Save As' just became 'duplicate', which actually works nicer as your original in its own window remains intact. Then when you select 'save' on the duplicate you get the save as window.

I def. agree with the column sizing issues. seems finder columns got worse in 10.7.3 or is it just me

Edit: and searching in the finder window using that search bar, why does it not just search the local folder you are in and then let me click on 'anywhere on my mac'? I can never use it effectively.

azpc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
Lion is too late to change

I posted this link in the Mountain Lion forum because these are also "features" of Mountain Lion. OS X 10.8 appears to have a lot of nice features, however, it is these eleven problem features that are keeping me and large chunk of Mac clients away from Lion and Mountain Lion. Would like to see Apple consider giving users a few options to increase user satisfaction and productivity.

Thanks for responding!

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
There are no "worst features". Only features that Apple will be selling to the consumer. That is not an indication that I am advocating for them, but rather simply, the position I have decided to take.

I'm choosing to re-frame how I view Apple and the direction it's headed. I have collapsed my expectations, shelved my enthusiasm, and I'm going to sit back and observe. My purchase planning is a thing of the past.

Obviously there's a huge group of people that are ready to buy nearly anything Apple puts out. Increasingly it's more about buying into the Apple story.

With less importance being paid to technical achievement, it's about easy, simple, and not having to think. Blind trust in the cloud, while letting Apple decide what's best. A precedent they've spent years cultivating.

This should be a very interesting movie.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
With less importance being paid to technical achievement, it's about easy, simple, and not having to think. Blind trust in the cloud, while letting Apple decide what's best. A precedent they've spent years cultivating.

I dunno. I'm looking at my Mac and it's got a 10Gbps port that I can daisy-chain 6 devices off of.

My storage is all NAND and my battery has a lifespan that is 300% greater than the previous removable battery technology.

Apple is company that thrives on technical achievement at the consumer level and has profited handsomely on making these achievements every day for us.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Mission Control, to me, is the worst feature. But I love everything else really!

Gomff

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009

This.

I was hoping Mountain Lion might be some sort of dignified retreat by Apple....A way to water down the annoying features in Lion whilst saving face.

But it's not looking good.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
This.

I was hoping Mountain Lion might be some sort of dignified retreat by Apple....A way to water down the annoying features in Lion whilst saving face.

But it's not looking good.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance"

Thomas Jefferson

The more we complain the more we're going to get the ability to modify these features to our taste.

I certainly thing resume and auto-save are great features that I want to use most of the time but there are often times where I need to be able to exclude a few apps and all I ask is a way to set my prefs to exclude some apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.