Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DarthVader1213

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2012
Hi guys,

I will be upgrading to Mountain Lion soon and I was wondering if I have to upgrade all my apps in order to install Mountain Lion? I already updated everything though the software update...

Many thanks

Last edited:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
No, just run the ML installation and on completion run SU again to check. There are a few apps that are not fully ML compatible, but nothing really major. A list of them can be found by searching out the thread on these boards.

Istsat pro is one that comes to mind, but I had very few that wouldn't work after the update, and that's over 3 Macs.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
You can do all those updates afterwards. Many will only update to the ML compatible version if they figure out that the OS has changed. You kind of have to do it this way.

DarthVader1213

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2012
No, just run the ML installation and on completion run SU again to check. There are a few apps that are not fully ML compatible, but nothing really major. A list of them can be found by searching out the thread on these boards.

Istsat pro is one that comes to mind, but I had very few that wouldn't work after the update, and that's over 3 Macs.

You can do all those updates afterwards. Many will only update to the ML compatible version if they figure out that the OS has changed. You kind of have to do it this way.

Thank You very much!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Most apps don't need to be update, outside of utilities, but if you have a few that acting wonky, check out the developers website for updates :)

I've not needed to update too much.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Very painless upgrade from Lion for me as well
Unless you are very far behind on updates you will be fine

Some items are updated for ML, but you shouldn't have any trouble recognizing that

Don't let this stop you... dive in and go for it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.