Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. lax

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2007
Canada
I have NFS most wanted, which works in cider to run in mac osx. how do i image the cd's to form a single disk, and then mount the disk to run without a disk in the drive? I would really like to know because i want to play this.

any info is good
thanks in advance

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
I think this might get wastelanded for illegality but Ill try:

Firstly, you'll just need the first CD to start the game up. the beauty of PC games is that all the resources are on your computer already. they just need the CD to verify that you really own the game.

So down to business:
>Put the CD in.
>Open Disk Utility.
>Select the disk.
>Click the create new image button.
>Select read-only or read/write as the format with no encryption.
>Wait.
>Next time you want to play just open up the image then start the game. It should work.

I know this works with my OS X native games. I'm unsure of your Cider wrapped game. Just wondering, how exactly do you get windows games to run in Cider? I'm unaware that that was/is even possible. I thought Cider was just a technology that can help ports (like the upcoming EA mac games).

Mr. lax

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2007
Canada
I know this works with my OS X native games. I'm unsure of your Cider wrapped game. Just wondering, how exactly do you get windows games to run in Cider? I'm unaware that that was/is even possible. I thought Cider was just a technology that can help ports (like the upcoming EA mac games).

You use a tool called crossover to install into OSX and then you find the .exe file to run the game insert the location into cider and play, the proble m is that the disk needs to be imaged to work and i havn't found a way to simulate direct x 9.0c on my mac for the game file to find and therefore think its on a windows.

P.S Thanks for the response

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
cider isn't an application. cider is what the developers use to make a windows game work on mac.

Cider is an application; it's like WINE. It operates independently of any games, and in fact you can run some Windows games that aren't officially supported just by plugging them into the Cider app. Not sure about the licensing issues involved in actually doing that though.

--Eric

kaltsasa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2002
Kellogg IA
Toast has a knack for mounting images that look exactly like a Disk to the computer. Personally I do this with my craft and diablo disks. Then I can carry them on the lappy all the time and get better battery life taboot when playing them.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
Toast has a knack for mounting images that look exactly like a Disk to the computer. Personally I do this with my craft and diablo disks. Then I can carry them on the lappy all the time and get better battery life taboot when playing them.

I have toast - can't figure out how to make the image in the first place. Any help? Wanting to play my (legal) copy C&C without the DVD in place.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
I made a disk image via diskutility, but when I mount it it doesn't appear to show up as a DVD so even though I can install from it, the game won't recognize it to play. Is there something special to do with Toast to make this work better?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.