Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ger19

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2022
I have the Magic Mouse that comes with the iMac. I'm trying to like it, but it takes some getting used to. On thing that bothers me is the travel. Is there a way to scale the travel? I have to move the mouse way too far on my desk to get the arrow to move across the screen. For example, if I move the arrow from the top left to bottom right of the screen, the mouse on my desk has to be moved almost 8 inches. I'd like to cut that in half. Is there anyway to do that?

Tech Support Otter

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2024
Cincinnati, OH
Hello, ger19!

If you access System Settings, and scroll to the bottom of the list of options on the left sidebar, you will see "Mouse". From here, you can modify the 'Tracking speed' option towards "Fast" which should help!

You can also select "Advanced" at the bottom of the 'Mouse' options window and enable 'Pointer acceleration'.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: smirking

ger19

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2022
Hello, ger19!

If you access System Settings, and scroll to the bottom of the list of options on the left sidebar, you will see "Mouse". From here, you can modify the 'Tracking speed' option towards "Fast" which should help!

You can also select "Advanced" at the bottom of the 'Mouse' options window and enable 'Pointer acceleration'.

Hope this helps!
Thanks. Yes, both of those help. I wish there was more to reduce the travel, but those did help.

Tech Support Otter

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2024
Cincinnati, OH
Another option you have is under the "Display" settings, where you can adjust the scaled resolution for the monitor. Lowering the resolution can cause things to look less sharp or at times blurry, but can also decrease travel needed to move the mouse pointer to a destination.

ger19

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2022
Another option you have is under the "Display" settings, where you can adjust the scaled resolution for the monitor. Lowering the resolution can cause things to look less sharp or at times blurry, but can also decrease travel needed to move the mouse pointer to a destination.
Thanks. I already have it 1600 x 900 so that the type is comfortably readable. Still seems pretty clear, but I'd like the same font size at the highest resolution. I'll have to do some research to see if that's possible. Otherwise, what the point of having such a nice high resolution monitor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.