Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GetGo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2004
New Jersey
I just received my new 20" iMac. It came with a Mighty Mouse, and I really don't like this mouse. I am too used to a 2 button mouse, could you guys recommend a good mouse to use with my new iMac.

nsknike

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2005
Um isn't the mighty mouse a two button mouse? I would recommend a Logitech MX 1000, I love mine but never use it anymore, if your interested I'm selling mine. nsknike@hotmail.com

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
nsknike said:
Um isn't the mighty mouse a two button mouse? I would recommend a Logitech MX 1000, I love mine but never use it anymore, if your interested I'm selling mine. nsknike@hotmail.com

I have both a MS Intellimouse Explorer and a Mighty Mouse (on different Macs). I like the Mighty Mouse better, but the MS mouse is also really good. The Mighty Mouse comes configured by default to behave like a one button mouse, but it's really a two button mouse. Just making sure that you knew that. You can change it in the Mouse tab of Mouse and Keyboard preferences in System preferences. Set the right button to "Secondary button." Note that to register a right click, you have to lift your left finger up a little bit above the surface of the mouse. If you still don't like the Mighty Mouse, I second the recommendation of the MS Intellimouse Explorer. It's comfortable, tracks well and comes with a good Mac driver/configuration tool.

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
If you want a mans mouse

Go with the Logitech MX518 (8 buttons). Cue Duffman "Oh Yeah!"

derajfast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2004
yeah i really dont understand why they do that....in the stores, all the mighty ''mice'' (that sounds odd) are configured as one button.........the biggest gripe people have about macs when i try to get them to swtich is the lack of a 2 button mouse from apple, and then apple introduces this and i think great they are dispelling another myth, and giving people one less excuse to use not to swtich....yet its the same thing if they are displaying them as 1 button mice in the stores.......very dumb on apples part

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
derajfast said:
yeah i really dont understand why they do that....in the stores, all the mighty ''mice'' (that sounds odd) are configured as one button.........the biggest gripe people have about macs when i try to get them to swtich is the lack of a 2 button mouse from apple, and then apple introduces this and i think great they are dispelling another myth, and giving people one less excuse to use not to swtich....yet its the same thing if they are displaying them as 1 button mice in the stores.......very dumb on apples part
Tell that to Steve Jobs! I bet it took a lot of arm-twisting to get Jobs to agree to the mighty mouse. According to his philosophy if you need more than one button on your mouse, it is a failing of the software you're using - or summit!

The reason you have them by default as one button is to sell the simplicity of Macs, but for advanced users there are a lot of other options available (a policy that runs throuh almost every Apple product).

I have a friend who bought me a mighty mouse for my birthday, but I already had one so he kept it. He's a windows user and he goes on at me how much he loves the mighty mouse! (Another halo effect?! :D )

The Mighty Mouse is very good IMO. Go to System Preferences>Keyboard & Mouse>Mouse (Tab) to configure all the goodies the mighty mouse has to offer. Attached is my setup - a pretty standard one.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    66 KB · Views: 75

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I agree w/ a previous poster (even though I am in way 'manly')... I love the Logitech MX500 or MX510 or MX518 (all very similar). I have rather small hands and even I find the mouse to be very comfortable. Sigh. I can't afford it though... :p So I occasionally 'steal' my bf's to use. I really like it.

derajfast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2004
i know you can edit the buttons and all, but to set it up in the retail stores as a single button is just stupid....the point of the mighty mouse was to be a trojan horse (well mouse) of sorts so that people who were looking to swtich didnt have an excuse.......and people who just get a new mac arent really going to know how to do that.......if you are going to make a 2 button mouse, to bridge a gap and dispell myths, and market it as such, why would you display it as the same thing people are wary of? makes no sense to me

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
Eidorian said:
Any Bluetooth recommendations for my iMac? :(

I gave up on trying to find a good bluetooth mouse for with my bluetooth keyboard. I ended up going for the Logitech MX1000. Unless you're okay with a one-button mouse lacking a scroll wheel you're going to have a hard time finding a good one.

On a more upbeat note: the non-bluetooth wireless mice are actually much better on battery life. I get many weeks out of one charge on my mx1000.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
mfacey said:
I gave up on trying to find a good bluetooth mouse for with my bluetooth keyboard. I ended up going for the Logitech MX1000. Unless you're okay with a one-button mouse lacking a scroll wheel you're going to have a hard time finding a good one.

On a more upbeat note: the non-bluetooth wireless mice are actually much better on battery life. I get many weeks out of one charge on my mx1000.
Yeah, I have an MX1000 on my Quicksilver 2002 at work and I love it. I haven't charged it in two weeks. It's down to one bar though. I have to remember to charge it when I leave from work today. :D

pivo6

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2002
Minnesota
I've been using the Kensington Pilotboard mouse and keyboard and it works great. The mouse is large though, so YMMV.

zathras

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2005
North AL
I'm using a Logitech MediaPlay mouse with USB Overdrive X to tweak all the buttons depending on the software. It is a great combination - it has a great feel to it - and has 13 buttons(?) not counting the scroll wheel but they really don't get in the way - it is a well designed good looking mouse - just wish they had a white one.

I love the side tilt for forward/back in browsers and i've got the "track" buttons to go through tabs. I've got the volume buttons to be volume and the center buttons for cut and paste. Thumb buttons go to desktop and all window view.

GetGo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2004
New Jersey
Hey zathras

Look like you and I are close with our computers. You have a 14" iBook and an isight iMac G5. I have the 12" iBook and an isight iMac G5. I am interested in the Logitech Media Play mouse. I saw that mouse in CompUSA today and almost bought it. But I didn't see mac compatible on the box. Does everything work correctly with this mouse?

Please let me know I love Logitech Mice.

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
GetGo said:
I just received my new 20" iMac. It came with a Mighty Mouse, and I really don't like this mouse. I am too used to a 2 button mouse, could you guys recommend a good mouse to use with my new iMac.

give Dell a call and order a mouse..they're pretty cheap...it's just a mouse anyway...

GetGo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2004
New Jersey
Mouse

OK, I did my research and finally bought a new mouse. I found the Logitech MX1000 which has the features I was looking for. Forward Backwards buttons, zooming, quick scroll, horizontal & vertical scrolling,and it's USB wireless. This mouse goes for $79.99, which I felt was too much for a mouse. I found it on sale at Staples for $39.99 US after rebate. I think this is a great price for this mouse. I am away on business but as soon as I get back I'm going to try it out on my iMac G5. I figured I've got a great new iMac G5, I might as well have a real good mouse to go with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.