Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Seanacus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2023
I have a late 2014 27" 5k Retina iMac i7
32gb Ram
Radeon R9 x295X 4gb GPU

I have a peculiar and frustrating issue where my cursor locks in place for about 5 seconds at a time.... I have a wired keyboard, and a wired mouse, which worked on my old mac, works on the new mac, apart from when it locks up like this...

The problem occurs moreso when I'm playing a game, however it does sometimes do it out of the game as well. It occurs most frequently when the mouse is on the far right hand side of the screen, specifically in the bottom right. The game I play (League of Legends) has a mini map at the bottom right, which means moving to this area of the screen is very frequent, as is moving to the very edge of the screen to move the "camera" in the game. The mouse then locks up for a fairly consistent 5 seconds at various points, sometimes in frequent intervals, which is devastating to the gameplay. The game, sound and keyboard all continue to function normally during this time, it's simply the cursor that locks up.

I have tried to alleviate issues that may be interrupting something, like unplugging my extra screen which I have on the right hand side. I've also turned off hot corners, in case the Mac was trying to do something when moving to this area of the screen. But the problem persists.

I've also tried manual fan control, if it were a case of overheating, but every indication shows that the mac isn't running too hot.

I've tried resetting the PRAM, but I still have the same issue. Is this something to do with the graphics? Online indicators say that the 295X should be more than capable.

Can anyone help? Has this happened to anyone else?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-03 at 10.26.01.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-03 at 10.26.01.png
    304.9 KB · Views: 89
  • Screenshot 2023-01-03 at 10.35.42.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-03 at 10.35.42.png
    165 KB · Views: 52
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.