Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ursulahx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2018
I've been having difficulties with my mouse over the last six months or so. When I start up Windows 10 in Bootcamp, it will often not recognise mouse clicks; the pointer is visible, but won't respond. I can't check the drivers, because I can't access the control panel without using the mouse! Restarting will fix the problem, but sometimes it takes several restarts.

Since I only use the Windows partition sporadically, I figured I could live with it - but I've started gaming using GeForce Now, and a similar thing is happening there. When I start up GFN, all is well and good until I launch a game. Then, once again, the mouse doesn't respond to clicks. In fact, I can't even see the pointer unless I hold down LMB. Again, restarting the Mac solves the problem, but sometimes several restarts are required.

The curious thing is that this happens regardless of whether I use the (wireless) Apple Magic Mouse, or the (wired) third-party mouse that I prefer. (For the record, it's the Evoluent Vertical Mouse 3 - I have USB Overdrive installed, and it works perfectly well in the MacOS environment).

It's frustrating rather than crippling, but I'd really like to find a solution. I'm running Mojave, but the same problem was occurring with High Sierra. Presumably it's something to do with the mouse drivers in a Windows environment?

(My Mac is a 2014 5K Retina iMac, 4GHz Intel i7, 32GB RAM, 4GB AMD Radeon R9 card pre-installed.)

Thanks in advance for any help.

[EDIT: I could try re-installing the Bootcamp drivers, but I can't see how that would help with GFN.]

Last edited:

ursulahx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2018
More info: I've discovered that I can clear the GFN problem by hitting ESC after the game has loaded (it may be that other keyboard input also works, I haven't tried yet). That seems to 'free up' the mouse. After that, everything runs normally until the next time.

Perhaps a driver reinstall is all I need for the Bootcamp partition; but since I'm considering deleting it in order to create a partition with more space, I might hold off on attempting that until then. I'll update as necessary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.