Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you be using a mouse with your iPad?

• Yes

Votes: 45 72.6%
  • No

Votes: 17 27.4%

• Total voters

JCoe13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2014
Chicago, IL
I keep seeing here (almost daily now) people getting very excited about mouse support on the iPad. I can't figure out WHY people are excited. Can someone please help me understand? It's my understanding that this is an "accessibility" feature and not something that apps will truly support. Being on my iPad, I haven't come across a situation where I felt like I wished I had a mouse instead of using my finger.

EDIT: I am specifically asking outside of those that actually use this for its intended purpose of accessibility. That is, of course, an amazing feature for those with limited movement or another reason and they need accessibility features. I think being inclusive of all is a great way to go and that's a great reason to be excited to have a mouse now!

Last edited:

JCoe13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2014
Chicago, IL
I’m most interested when I am using my keyboard. I won’t have to reach up to touch the device I can have a mouse next to my keyboard.

That makes sense that you could use it with a keyboard, but apps are still not designed to be used with a mouse. Given that its an accessibility feature and not an actual feature, I don't see many (if at all) developers actually making mouse support something that will improve a user experience. It still makes more sense to reach up to the screen and not use the mouse.

Additionally if using the iPad with a separate monitor having mouse support would be almost necessary.

What use do you have in using a separate monitor that the iPad cant do on its own screen? You can't use 2 screens, etc...

wrkngclasshero

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2008
Columbia, MD
That makes sense that you could use it with a keyboard, but apps are still not designed to be used with a mouse. Given that its an accessibility feature and not an actual feature, I don't see many (if at all) developers actually making mouse support something that will improve a user experience. It still makes more sense to reach up to the screen and not use the mouse.

What use do you have in using a separate monitor that the iPad cant do on its own screen? You can't use 2 screens, etc...

I don’t think reaching for the screen necessarily makes more sense if you are working at a desk, and have your iPad on a stand, and are using a stand alone keyboard. Additionally I believe iPadOS supports (on an app specific basis) a different outputs on a monitor vs vs the iPad’s display. These are features that are only going to become more sophisticated over time and require a more traditional computer input.

JCoe13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2014
Chicago, IL
These are features that are only going to become more sophisticated over time and require a more traditional computer input.

This is exactly what I'm saying, though. In it's current state, there is nothing advanced enough to require or be more efficient when using a mouse. Yeah, in the future I'm sure there may be. But TODAY people are so excited for a feature that is not fully developed or even a main feature of using an iPad.

I'm also a firm believer that if you are docking your iPad to use a keyboard, mouse and an external monitor, maybe an iPad is not the proper device to be using... Maybe I'm wrong here? Just trying to understand the other side.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
"Mouse on an iPad - WHY?"

Nostalgia, and a grass is greener outlook. I suspect a lot of people who say they want it will change their minds when they actually try it.

Reactions: 0989382

EEzycade

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
More options for input are always better. I am disabled and so can’t really use my logitech keyboard case. Because if I need to reach up, I cannot. Mouse support would help me. I think the important thing to keep in mind is that everyone uses tech differently.

chrism_scotland

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2018
I've been using it now for about a week and frankly for some work apps its transformative, it makes working with Excel a dream - I'd actively avoided using it on the iPad before its also great for using desktop website apps (like Wix for web building or Sharepoint) something that was actually a pain in the neck with just a finger.

I suspect this is just a start, plenty of developers will start giving the option of being more mouse friendly if people use it.

Reactions: Precursor

JCoe13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2014
Chicago, IL
More options for input are always better. I am disabled and so can’t really use my logitech keyboard case. Because if I need to reach up, I cannot. Mouse support would help me. I think the important thing to keep in mind is that everyone uses tech differently.
Just want to point out - To use the mouse support addition as it is intended (as an accessibility feature) is not at all being questioned by me. I am more so confused with people that are using it not as an accessibility feature.

I suspect this is just a start, plenty of developers will start giving the option of being more mouse friendly if people use it.

Will Apple even allow this? This is an accessibility feature and not a "feature" that is expected to be developed around. As for the Excel usage, maybe then an iPad isn't the best use for that? Every device serves a function. Many of the controls for Excel have been warped to be better used with a finger than a mouse (the desktop app was not just ported over to the iPad, rather redeveloped). Although personal use cases will differ and i can see where a mouse can help some here.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
For me, if find using Excel, remote control software and other apps with a mouse much more superior then with touch. Granted iOS is touch first and I don't know how well mouse support is integrated but its a start.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
This is exactly what I'm saying, though. In it's current state, there is nothing advanced enough to require or be more efficient when using a mouse. Yeah, in the future I'm sure there may be. But TODAY people are so excited for a feature that is not fully developed or even a main feature of using an iPad.

I'm also a firm believer that if you are docking your iPad to use a keyboard, mouse and an external monitor, maybe an iPad is not the proper device to be using... Maybe I'm wrong here? Just trying to understand the other side.
Yes, I believe that you are wrong... because you are viewing other people's needs and use cases through the lens of your experiences and preferences and claiming that one device will suit their needs better than the one they want to use. They know their needs better than you know their needs. To claim that they're not using the proper device can be interpreted as arrogance. If the inclusion of mouse support on the iPad helps the iPad be more useful for their needs that's all there is.

I don't mean that as a dig at you but to point out that there isn't one set of use cases for an iPad (or any device). There isn't a "right" way to use an iPad and a "wrong" way.

For those who use iPads to do both tablet and notebook type functions, the inclusion of mouse support is welcomed. It isn't for everyone, so one either needs the functionality it provides or they don't.

The same "confusion" arose over the use of a physical keyboard (use a laptop!)... and then a stylus (use your finger!)

Pointing and typing are paired activities. Things get awkward when they're mixed. Using the onscreen keyboard and directly touching the screen is very effective and efficient. Using a physical keyboard and touching the screen is not. Using a physical mouse and onscreen keyboard is not.

There are situations where using a physical keyboard and physical mouse are preferable. Content creation in general can be done more efficiently for some people using a physical keyboard and mouse.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
I persoanlly voted no as it's not something I have a need or desire for at the moment. Having said that, if they open up second screen support to work in a desktop extension mode and work the UI to better support this scenario then I would be very open to using a mouse with the iPad.

JCoe13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2014
Chicago, IL
I persoanlly voted no as it's not something I have a need or desire for at the moment. Having said that, if they open up second screen support to work in a desktop extension mode and work the UI to better support this scenario then I would be very open to using a mouse with the iPad.
Exactly how I feel about the mouse... As of now, I'm a no. But we'll see in a few years where this goes.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I keep seeing here (almost daily now) people getting very excited about mouse support on the iPad. I can't figure out WHY people are excited. Can someone please help me understand? It's my understanding that this is an "accessibility" feature and not something that apps will truly support. Being on my iPad, I haven't come across a situation where I felt like I wished I had a mouse instead of using my finger.
Some people have different needs and workflows from you. No real need to ask a question where the answer is obvious.

Reactions: Never mind
Jul 4, 2015
Paris
It’s under Accessibility. That settings section is primarily for people who have disabilities such as limited movement, poor eye sight, hard of hearing, etc. The mouse control and large cursor is for them.

Voice Control on macOS is also for people with limited movement.

I hope some people posting on the forum haven’t become so isolated and self-centred that they have forgotten that disabled people exist.

Reactions: Never mind

JCoe13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2014
Chicago, IL
It’s under Accessibility. That settings section is primarily for people who have disabilities such as limited movement, poor eye sight, hard of hearing, etc. The mouse control and large cursor is for them.

Voice Control on macOS is also for people with limited movement.

I hope some people posting on the forum haven’t become so isolated and self-centred that they have forgotten that disabled people exist.

Again, this is exactly what I’m saying. Seems you’re not the only one that misunderstood. This is an ACCESSIBILITY FEATURE and not a main feature that everyone is supposed to be using. Hence my question: outside of using it for accessibility, why are you excited for mouse support? I, personally, am not excited for this and don’t see myself needing it. For that reason, I’m curious to know other people’s reasons for being excited about this.

T-Bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2013
If they allowed full gesture support then it'd be as useful as on desktop (application support notwithstanding), but still its good to have options for people with specific use cases like the spreadsheet user above.

Never mind

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2018
Dunedin, Florida
Again, this is exactly what I’m saying. Seems you’re not the only one that misunderstood. This is an ACCESSIBILITY FEATURE and not a main feature that everyone is supposed to be using. Hence my question: outside of using it for accessibility, why are you excited for mouse support? I, personally, am not excited for this and don’t see myself needing it. For that reason, I’m curious to know other people’s reasons for being excited about this.

I want to because I’m tired of reaching towards the screen because I have limited mobility. If you don’t like it, don’t use it. Real simple to comprehend. Apple is now given us users a choice. Bravo apple

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
I don't know that I would need a mouse all that bad. But if I could get a keyboard with a touchpad that would allow me to scroll like I do on my surface pro? That would be nice.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
One step closer to a surface pro.. My work “computer” is a surface pro and external display and honestly it is perfect. I am hoping the iPad is going to eventually get there.
Indeed. I would love this as well. It is getting there, but not yet. I think iPad OS is a step in the right direction.

Reactions: Farrellcollie

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
The one workflow that nearly anyone can imagine is simply copying and pasting large amounts of text such as when working on a document or in excel. The current touch system makes this routine task that billions of people do every day substantially more difficult than it needs to be. Mouse support should bring this back to parity with computers from 40 years ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.