Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theman5725

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 2, 2006
I need to purchase a mouse for my MacBook and this one looked really nice:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Revo...9/ref=sr_1_2/102-0100983-5420969?ie=UTF8&s=pc

I played around with a similar Logitech mouse in the stoor and really liked the feel of it, but it was very breif so I didn't get a logn term experience. I have somewhat big hands, and I really like big mice compared to small ones. How does this mouse work with Macs if anybody has it? Also, if you have a mouse you really like, can you post it with some information?

And I don't want the Mighty Mouse for various reasons, I have tried it before and didn't really like it.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
I have the Desktop version of the Revolution and it is truly AWESOME!!! COMPLETELY customizable, down to the speed at which the wheel goes into "free spin" mode which is the coolest thing I've seen on any mouse. I'm contemplating picking up the notebook version, but I have so many logitech notebook mice already. It's worth every penny though.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Revo...9/ref=sr_1_2/102-0100983-5420969?ie=UTF8&s=pc

I played around with a similar Logitech mouse in the stoor and really liked the feel of it, but it was very breif so I didn't get a logn term experience. I have somewhat big hands, and I really like big mice compared to small ones. How does this mouse work with Macs if anybody has it? Also, if you have a mouse you really like, can you post it with some information?

And I don't want the Mighty Mouse for various reasons, I have tried it before and didn't really like it.

I still like the Logitech MX1000.

A great mouse.

David

theman5725

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 2, 2006
Just wondering, is the only difference between notebook and desktop mice the size? Because when I travel with my laptop I probably will not be bringing the mouse, its just for home use, as the laptop is my only computer.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
Fair enough, but I don't like the smaller size of 'notebook' mice.

David

The MX isn't a notebook mouse, it's the replacement to the MX1000. The VX is the notebook mouse.

Just wondering, is the only difference between notebook and desktop mice the size? Because when I travel with my laptop I probably will not be bringing the mouse, its just for home use, as the laptop is my only computer.

I have the MX Revolution (the desktop variant) as my travel AND home mouse. If you aren't traveling with your mouse, I'd recommend the MX (desktop) Revolution. The only problem I have with it for traveling is that I have take the charging cradle along with me, and the USB dongle doesn't slide into the mouse for safe storage. Other than that, it is a GREAT feeling mouse, a nicer size, and it also has the thumb wheel, which can be programmed to do a number of different things.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW

Don't you need to use a dongle for that Logitech mouse? That'd be a killer for me, at least for notebook use. Inconvenient, plus a decent chance of breaking a USB port.

I really think Bluetooth is the way to go for notebook mice. If you don't like the Mighty Mouse, and prefer larger mice, one option is Microsoft's Bluetooth Intellimouse. I had the previous version and it worked well with my Powerbook. Only downside is it doesn't have an off switch.

There's also the Radtech BT600 mouse. I had the BT510, and it was a great mouse... except it seemed to take a tad too long to come out of power-saver mode (a strategy all Bluetooth mice use to one degree or another).

I really like my Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, but I realize that's not something you want.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Dongle is required. Haven't tried the VX but HATE the MX. (well, hate is a strong word. It's just not worth it is a fairer assessment I suppose, and the driver is not good because it's not all that customisable. Works better on the PC than Mac, but still I'm not impressed)

You could try the MX900 which is a Bluetooth mouse. It's not spectacular but it works. There are also a couple of Microsoft BT mice but I've not tried them - although I like all my recent Microsoft mice.

theman5725

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 2, 2006
If the dongle is the thing you plug into the USB port, I don't really mind it, although it would be nice to free up space considering I only have 2 USB ports on the computer.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
If the dongle is the thing you plug into the USB port, I don't really mind it, although it would be nice to free up space considering I only have 2 USB ports on the computer.

If you're only using it at your desktop, you'd be smart to invest in a 4 or 7 port hub, you can leave you USB dongle plugged into the hub.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
FYI - I picked up a VX and although it's got a dongle it's not that bad. I prefer it by a large amount over the MX even though it's tracking is seemingly just as jerky when compared to the wireless Mighty Mouse. The scroll wheel still overshoots when in 'free' mode but I like it that you can select the mode by the lever under the mouse, not by the method adopted by the MX.

It lacks the useless thumbwheel and the dongle packs neatly into the body of the mouse. Loss of dongle is still an issue of course...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.