Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BenWakin

macrumors member
Original poster
May 27, 2003
San Diego
I'm lookin for a mouse for me new iBook. Anyone prefer a particular mouse? I don't really like using the "finger glider." Plus I play a couple games so any suggestions on a mouse would be greatly appreciated.

mstecker

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
Philadelphia
I've tried a million mice, and have never found one that really meets with my satisfaction.

While the Kensington Studio mice look great, I don't like the scroll-pad thingy. Also, the wireless model never performed well for me. Finally, they felt cheap.

I've found that the Logitech mice have a scroll wheel that has a cheap mechanism in it - it makes a really unsatisfying click when moving it. That bugs me.

I've settled on the IBM contour mouse.

http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/s...d=-840&langId=-1&partNumber=31P8700&storeId=1

Your mileage, of course, will vary.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Kensington optical trackball

A while back I was looking online at mice etc. and I found this trackball, the kensingtion optical orbit, I wasn't sure if I really wanted a trackball, but I bought it anyway, and its great. it takes some getting used to, but once you're used to a trackball its really great. It has 2 buttons, but no scroll wheel. Heres a pic and a link:

http://www.kensington.com/html/1511.html#

64327M.jpg

etoiles

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2002
Where the air is crisp
I will have to second the Microsoft mouse choice...sad I know. I had to get a new mouse for 3D work recently, and the MS one just 'felt' best to me, but I guess that depends on the shape/size of your hands and what you are used to.

Also, the middle button was really important to me (again, for the type of work I do), so I was looking for a mouse with a 'smooth' middle button/scroll wheel.

Best thing to do is to go to a store with a good selection of mice and check them out for yourself...try before you buy ;)

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
I highly recommend getting a trackball unless you're playing first-person shooter games. Try to get one with two buttons and then a pair of programmable scroll buttons (on my boss, they are two small inset buttons on the larger buttons).

Trackballs are just that much more ergonomically friendly. Your wrists will thank you. I would get one myself if I but had the money.

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
I'd get a Kensington mouse. The one I have is a Kensington Pocket wireless mouse - It stores a little USB adapter inside. You take it out, plug it in and go. Optical, two buttons, scroll wheel, light and nice to look at. You get it through Apple for $60 bucks or look around at Amazon and eBay and such and you could probably find it for $40 or so.

Visit Blue Pudding!
http://bluepudding.1hwy.com

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
Am using the M$ Intellimouse and damn it's good. Great response when playing first person shooters like Medal of Honor Spearhead.

alphaone

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2003
I have the M$ Wireless Intelimouse Explorer and I think it's pretty good. Even for a wireless mouse. It has 5 buttons which is great for gaming :). It had good response time (once you get it woken up) and it fits my hand like a glove. Did I mention that it had 5 buttons? Battery life is ok ( I use rechargeables). On my NiMH batteries I get about a 2 week span of power. Then I pop in the other two in the set of 4 NiMH batteries that I have and put the dead ones in the my charger. I never really have been bothered by it. I don't like wires on my desk so wireless is great for me. I also love using the wireless mouse with laptops. It is just easy...

Jerry Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2002
Historic St. Charles
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.