Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bronstone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
Toronto
Simple and quick:

Anyone know how to get Daemon Tools running in Parallels? There's always an error (SCIS/Raid or error 12) or something along those lines. I also have boot camp installed and can run it no problem. I also heard of being able to mount an image directly from parallels...

Daemon tools would be my preferred software of choice to run my app, and I'd rather doing in Parallels as opposed of having to use BC.

Cheers,
Marc.

PS: I'm running XPSP2 in Parallels on a MacBook 2Ghz, 1GB of RAM.

Bronstone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
Toronto
This image will open up in Windows running in Parallels? I need Windows to run the app not OS X... Just making sure

Bronstone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
Toronto
Hey guys,

Even though the DVD is in my D: drive, Parallels doesn't seem to acknowledge it's there... Any suggestions? I tried to copy the image to a directory on Tiger but to no avail!

Boo-urns...

EDIT: The disc boots up under XP in parallels, but when I select connect to image, it doesn't show that I have the DVD in my SuperDrive even though XP see's it. Am I doing something wrong?

Bronstone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
Toronto
Cricket....

Please, anyone, I am so close to finally having this MacBook set-up the way I NEED it to be for WORK! Patiently awaiting a reply.... thanks in advance!

M.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
is it a physical disc or an ISO/DMG/Whatever?

if it is physical, select CD/DVD-ROM Drive, if not, image.

Does that work?

If not, tell us everything, what software, what disc (cd, dvd etc), which way up you've put it in, how you like your coffee, everything! ;)

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Bronstone said:
EDIT: The disc boots up under XP in parallels, but when I select connect to image, it doesn't show that I have the DVD in my SuperDrive even though XP see's it. Am I doing something wrong?
Yeah, XP's got control of your DVD. You need to disconnect it from Parallels so that OS X can see it.

You can do this from the Devices menu, the CD icon at the bottom right of the Parallels window, or from the default settings for your VM.

You don't want to give XP access to the "real device" of your optical drive assuming I understand correctly that you have a DVD with ISO files on it...

B

Bronstone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
Toronto
Guys,

It is a physical DVD with 4 separate ISO's on it. The apps are anatomy software that need to be mounted in order to work properly. Let me try the suggestions and I'll post and edit ASAP! BRB...

:)

EDIT: This is my dream scenario: I have boot camp installed and was able to use the anatomy software no problems mounting the image via Daemon Tools. However, if I can do this via Parallels, no need to reboot just to use one piece of software. Like I mentioned before, I can't use Daemon Tools within parallels because of some SCIS/Raid installer problem. Trying to find a mounter that can let me read the ISO on the physical disc which will subsequently be mounted on XP and hopefully installed!

EDIT2: So I did what was suggested and disconnected Parallels recognizing the DVD. I mounted the image successfully but when I installed it and try to run it asks to install the correct CD ROM. There's got to be a way around this using Parallels and not BC. I refuse to believe that Daemon Tools is the only mounter that can do this. Does it depend on what program was used to duplicate the original CD?

Bronstone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
Toronto
No dice guys.

I the app says to "install the correct disk". I've gotten this to work on BC using Daemon Tools, but would really prefer to use parallels since this is pretty much the only app that I use XP for. Like I mentioned before, I tried installing Daemon Tools on XP within my parallels and it won't work (2 errors, 1 regarding SCIS/Raid and the other some error 12).

Basically, I think the problem is that Daemon tools creates a virtual drive (E) while the physical disc is in drive (D). I need to find some program that can create me a virtual DRIVE within parallels so I can keep the physical disc in (D) but have the image mounted on E. Anyone who gets this working gets a special gift from me! So close.... but so far

M

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Bronstone said:
EDIT2: So I did what was suggested and disconnected Parallels recognizing the DVD. I mounted the image successfully but when I installed it and try to run it asks to install the correct CD ROM. There's got to be a way around this using Parallels and not BC. I refuse to believe that Daemon Tools is the only mounter that can do this. Does it depend on what program was used to duplicate the original CD?
I have a folder of ISO images for the games my kids like to play on an external drive and mount them all using Parallels' native ISO mounting capability.

It is possible that your specific app is detecting that the app is mounted as an image and won't let you do that and that DT can bypass that somehow. Unlike something like Alcohol 120%, DT doesn't replicate some of the more advanced copy protections that are out there...

Since your app consists of 4 CDs, I'd try to see what happens if you just combine the data from the 4 CDs onto a single DVD and see first if that works in Boot Camp, then move it to Parallels.

EDIT. You can create an E: drive in Parallels just by mounting a second image. In fact you should be able to mount all the images in separate virtual drives.

B

Bronstone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
Toronto
B

I tried your suggestion and to no avail. The app I am trying to use is notorious for its advanced copyright protection and I guess DT is the only program that can successfully circumvent it. Unless you would like to try and install DT in parallels and see exactly the errors I'm talking about, it looks like I have lost this fight. Damn, I was so close... :(

M.

PS: Has ANYONE installed Daemon Tools on XP within parallels? Anyone want to try it and give me some feedback? Maybe you can tell me how to get around that SCIS/Raid error?

EDIT: To clarify, the apps are on one physical DVD as 4 isos (700 MB each). I can mount them in Boot Camp using Daemon Tools and run them no problem. I can't run these apps in Parallels because I can't install Daemon Tools. Any other programs that you know of that might help me?

Bronstone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
Toronto
To make things interesting, I will transfer $5 to someone, via Paypal, if they can get Daemon Tools working in Parallels on Windows XP... :)

M.

Bronstone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
Toronto
B

I owe you $5. Thanks so much for all your research and hard work. This is unbelievably clutch.

IT WORKS!!!!!!!!

M.

yogithesymbian

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2023
i get an error throught windows 11.
```
Couldn't mount file
Sorry, There was a problem mounting the file
```
on my m1 device ( mbp m1 )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.