Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Antiphones

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2014
Possible solution.

I had this same problem and I found that some of the files I was copying had become locked. Look at the icon of the files you're trying to move and see if any of them have a lock symbol on the file's icon (very small).

To unlock them, get info (command i) and untick the locked checkbox. This solved it for me. I didn't lock these files, they were downloaded from my camera, and for some reason a few of the images got locked during the download.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: danneufeld

robmaci

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2006
Fruitless

Guys.

Stop it.

I am having the same problem. I reinstalled Mavericks from scratch the other day. Ever since I started using Mavericks, I've been plagued with problems with permissions.

I created a folder on my desktop

In that folder I placed image files

I then created a subfolder in which to place a portion of these files.

When I try to drag the several image files to the new subfolder, it will copy, not move.

I have made sure that all my permissions on my desktop, the folder, and the subfolder all are set to allow anyone and everyone to read and write.

So, the question is - how do I fix this problem.

I'm not doing anything "wrong" I'm dragging the files in the same way I've been dragging files since Mac computers were created. It's only with Mavericks that this copy instead of move problem has come up.

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
To the OP or anyone else with this behavior:

You're not going to find a solution to your problem on MacRumors. What you'll get is a bunch of responses like those already posted.

Go here, Link Davis response, don't do it the easy way as it may work for a day or two then the problem will manifest itself again or in a different manner.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6444897

To add, this issue can be caused by a variety of problems, locked files, migrations performed over a network, migration after migration of user files over various Macs and versions of OSX. I'm not sure if anyone has a solid understanding of what's causing Home Directory permissions problems to get scrambled. And I've seen some that were beyond any expectations of what might find for permissions.

Now the bad news. You're going to have to go through all of your Mac's and backups and fix the problem there as well. Clones are simple. Data backups are a pain. If the problem files continue to exist the backups are useless. You need to purge them. I simply reformatted my drives and did all the backups again, after repairing the issue on the Mac's. Don't forget DropBox, iCloud, etc. Unless you can identify the problem file(s) its a hatchet job versus a scalpel. Doing a fresh install does not work for obvious reasons until all of your backed up user files are ok.

There are several ways to attack this. Do a search on Apple's forums for "move instead of copy" or "trash not working" or "constant requests for password". Pick your flavor but my experience suggests the easy approaches don't work. Nor do comments that assume because their Mac's work correctly all others must as well or how to use the mouse and keyboard.

Last edited:

mariannehislop

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2014
I was having the exact same problem. Trying to move movie files (AVI) that I have already successfully copied onto a fat32 formatted WD external hard drive into a folder "Movies" on the SAME external hard drive.

I have used the command + key to drag/drop, this OCCAISIONALLY moves a file, not copy, but never works on more than 3 files at a time. It is hit and miss, I will move a file over, then the next one will insist on copying????

I have tried the comman+option+v - DOES NOT WORK AT ALL. It insisted on copying the files and this is set to take 2 HOURS.

I actually contacted apple support and they advised this is typical, that Mac will always copy, not move on an external hard drive. This does not explain why it worked sometimes.

After 2 hours of researching forums etc I gave up. Cancelled the copying, unplugged the hard drive, plugged it into a windows computer and in SEVEN (7) seconds it moved the files over for me.

Far out.

danneufeld

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2016
Fruitless

Guys.

Stop it.

I am having the same problem. I reinstalled Mavericks from scratch the other day. Ever since I started using Mavericks, I've been plagued with problems with permissions.

I created a folder on my desktop

In that folder I placed image files

I then created a subfolder in which to place a portion of these files.

When I try to drag the several image files to the new subfolder, it will copy, not move.

I have made sure that all my permissions on my desktop, the folder, and the subfolder all are set to allow anyone and everyone to read and write.

So, the question is - how do I fix this problem.

I'm not doing anything "wrong" I'm dragging the files in the same way I've been dragging files since Mac computers were created. It's only with Mavericks that this copy instead of move problem has come up.

Make sure all of the files are unlocked. I just had this same problem, and Google took me to this forum. I unlocked my images, and problem solved.

I am aware that this thread is old.

rhotax

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2016
I use OS 10.4.11.

And this
1. command + C
2. command + option + V
doesn't work :/

Maybe it's because - like they say here - https://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/os-x-3-tricks-for-moving-files-around

"That action—available on 10.7 Lion and up—is equivalent to the PC’s familiar cut and paste option."

PS
I've checked on 10.6.8 it's also doesn't work.
So what, this is a "very special function" that is only available on most modern MACs :/ This is embarrassing :/

Last edited:

ricardophoto

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2017
Does anyone know how to move files instead of copying them (within the same drive) in Mavericks?

Dragging the files copies them. Holding command doesn't seem to work either.

Any ideas?

TIA
It was happening to me. I had a time machine into the drive, I turned time machine off, disconnected the drive and connected again, the problem solved. I'm not sure why.

digitalrobot

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2017
To move files, you hold down the Command Key + Drag, that moves them instead of copying - it's rubbish they dont just have Command + X - this is for OS X Sierra!

mdo193

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2013
I can MOVE files (not just copy) between folders AND drives by Command/click/drag, but only in COLUMN view. It does not work in LIST view. I haven't tried the other views.
MacOS 10.13.1 HighSierra on my MacBook Air late 2013 11".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.