Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

radamo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2019
Long Island, NY
I don’t think I am going to use migration assistant to setup my new Mac. I would rather start fresh on Mac. I have a photo library that is managed by Lightroom and my music library is managed by iTunes. Can I export my iTunes library to a shared folder and then just import into the Mac?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
That will move the songs, but not the library metadata like play counts, playlists, etc. If that’s ok with you, yes it will work.

Last edited:

radamo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2019
Long Island, NY
So it might make sense to use the Migration assistant JUST for the iTunes music library... I guess it won't hurt to copy my bookmarks into Safari while I am at it.

radamo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2019
Long Island, NY
Just to update this and maybe help someone else in the process...
Windows Migration Assistant was a fail for me. I could not get it work even with 2nd level Apple support on the line.

So.... I shared the Windows drive with my iTunes library and copied the entire iTunes folder to the Music folder on my iMac. I then started iTunes with the Option key depressed and pointed it at the new iTunes folder on the iMac. Boom! All works fine. iMac was running Mojave 10.14.6 when I did this move. I am possibly upgrading to Catalina this weekend.

Reactions: bhodinut
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.