Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wandapec

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
I recently purchased a Transcend JetDrive Lite SD card for additional storage. I formatted it as OS X Extended and it shows up as an External drive... The problem with it is that every time my Mac goes in to sleep mode, it ejects it and I get the 'Disk Not Ejected Properly' error. A friend of mine got the same drive, inserted it and formatted it and it is shown as an Internal drive. It doesn't disconnect when in Sleep mode...
How can I get my Mac to recognise the drive as Internal? Thanks.

Here is a screenshot of my drive:
UJM5T4L.png

Here is my friends:
DtugkJD.png

hmkk

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2016
have you tried the Transcend Jetdrive software that can be downloaded on their site?

wandapec

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
have you tried the Transcend Jetdrive software that can be downloaded on their site?
I did. When I run the JetDrive Toolbox, there is an option that says "Allow your MacBook to wake up from Standby mode with JetDrive inserted". This was On by default... It doesn't load anything onto the drive and doesn't seem to run in the background, so I don't know how it keeps that setting..
Anyway, doesn't seem to work...
[doublepost=1455351519][/doublepost]
Mine shows as being internal but it's formatted as EXFat which is, I believe, how it comes from Transcend.
I originally had it formatted to that, but it still recognised it as External when I plugged it in..

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
on my macbook air, the Jet Drive SD card shows as an internal drive.
i formatted it with OS X 's Disk Utility right after I bought it (OS X Extended, journaled, encrypted).

on macbook airs, it should always appear as an internal drive if you use the SD slot.
if you use that same drive and put in into a USB drive that is can fit into, then it would appear as an external drive.

Transcend has great customer service. just email them.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The first thing I would do is re-initialize the drive to HFS+ with journaling enabled.
Things on the Mac just work better when connected drives are in "Mac format".

Because the card/drive is sitting in the SD slot (right?), I don't think it's possible for Disk Utility to recognize it "as in internal drive" -- because "internal" drives are physically connected to the -internal- SATA bus.

But really, on the Mac, this is of no consequence.

You probably need to go to the Energy Saver preference pane, and UNCHECK the option to "put hard disks to sleep when possible".

There's no need for a card/drive to "sleep".

wandapec

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
The first thing I would do is re-initialize the drive to HFS+ with journaling enabled.
Things on the Mac just work better when connected drives are in "Mac format".

Because the card/drive is sitting in the SD slot (right?), I don't think it's possible for Disk Utility to recognize it "as in internal drive" -- because "internal" drives are physically connected to the -internal- SATA bus.

But really, on the Mac, this is of no consequence.

You probably need to go to the Energy Saver preference pane, and UNCHECK the option to "put hard disks to sleep when possible".

There's no need for a card/drive to "sleep".
Thanks. I have formatted the drive as OS X Extended (Journaled). Also unchecked the "Put hard disks to sleep..." option. Also loaded their software and selected "Mount after sleep"... But still doesn't work. If it Sleeps, the drive disconnects with warning...

A friend of mine has the same SD card in an older model MacBook (The card sticks out a bit), but from the time he plugged it in, his Mac recognised it as an Internal drive...

Going to try this and see it works... http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20080329201951648

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.