Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdetry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2004
Barcelona
Finally i have migrated from PC to a marvelous Imac G5 21", 1 Giga ram.

The first thing I need is to migrate tons of emails from Outlook PST to Mac Mail.

I know it´s not strait forward.

Can anybody recomment me a software that does this well?

Thanks.

surfsofa

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2004
Bay Area
This information is a couple of years old, but should still work...

Convert Windows Outlook mail to Mail.app
Thu, Oct 3 '02 at 09:13AM • from: stephen.bates Converting the corporate Windows user who has all their old email in .pst files for years back? Help them on their way by getting their mail out of the proprietary .pst format and into standards based mbox format. The process sucks a little bit, but it does work if you have both machines on the same network.

On your current Windows machine:

1. Start on a Windows box with Outlook and .pst files (Personal Folders)
2. Download Netscape 4.7X for Windows
3. Launch Netscape, launch Netscape Mail
4. Select File -> Import, choose Outlook 97/98 (regardless if you have Outlook 2000/XP), select Outlook profile (if you have one)
5. Ensure all your .pst files and mboxes are selected (Personal Folders)
6. Wait for the Import to finish, Quit Outlook and Netscape

On your Mac running Jaguar:

1. Launch Mail.app
2. From the Finder, Connect to Server and connect to your Windows Machine
3. Navigate to the Windows machine - C: -> Program Files -> Netscape -> Users -> YourUsername -> Mail -> Outlook Mail.sbd
4. Copy the Personal Folders from the Windows machine to somewhere in your Home Directory (I chose my Documents folder)
5. From Mail.app, choose File -> Import Mailboxes ... select standard mbox files
6. Point towards the directory where you copied the Personal Folders from the Windows machine
7. Ensure all the mailboxes are checked

When it's done, look in the Import Folder in the "On My Mac" folder, and ensure all your imported mail is there. This method should should keep the dates and attachments intact. If you find you have TNEFs, use TNEF's Enough to extract them.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
nels0360 said:
You want Outlook2Mac

http://www.littlemachines.com/

It works very well. PM me if you want to buy my copy since I no longer need it.

I second Little Machines, it literally took me about 10 minutes to transfer everything perfectly. All attachments, etc. It also kept the organization of my messages (by folder), which was important for me.

It also transfers contacts and tasks very well. One good thing it does for contacts is append the category to the note text. Then when you import into Apple Address Book, you can do a quick find on the category name, and create a group for them. I thought I was going to have to manually re-categorize, but Little Machines saved my life!!!

expergo

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2004
i converted my outlook express mail to mozilla thunderbird and took the mbox files and transferred it to my mac and imported the .mbox in mail. simple and free. :) it retained all the mail properties and wathever else.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
notjustjay said:
Darnit. I want to do this too, but I no longer have the Windows machines, only a 20-some megabyte outlook.pst file.

If you need help, PM me. I don't know how confidential your Outlook data is, but I could do quick export for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.