Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CLASSIC MUSCLE

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
One of our employees is currently on a Verizon "family plan" and we want to give him an extra iPhone 5 we have at our office and get him using it but staying on his own plan. Trouble is, our iPhones are all on AT&T and when he went to get the AT&T iPhone 5 activated Verizon told him "the phone was not compatible" with Verizon? Is this true? Can it be done somehow?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You cannot put an AT&T iPhone onto Verizon's network. Even if it is compatible, Verizon won't activate it.

CLASSIC MUSCLE

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
That's ridiculous! I thought maybe the guy at the Verizon store was giving him the run around. Can anyone else confirm this for sure?

iPhonemaster5S

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2011
Colorado
One of our employees is currently on a Verizon "family plan" and we want to give him an extra iPhone 5 we have at our office and get him using it but staying on his own plan. Trouble is, our iPhones are all on AT&T and when he went to get the AT&T iPhone 5 activated Verizon told him "the phone was not compatible" with Verizon? Is this true? Can it be done somehow?

Sadly the two carriers are on two different kind of networks. You could bring the AT&T iPhone to T-mobile but that's about it. Verizon is on CDMA and AT&T is on GSM.

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
If you had a Verizon iPhone 5, you could use it on AT&T, but I don't believe you can use an AT&T iPhone 5 on Verizon. Sent from my iPad.

srsub3

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2013
NYC
they are two different models. gsm model(at&t), final model digits 28,works only on this network, verizon, final model code 29, works even on gsm, but without LTE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.