Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 4, 2022
United States
I thought I'd share a method of moving the Logic sound library to a network volume (server). I tested this with my M1 MBA and a 2010 Mac mini, and it worked fine.

Basically, you need a Mac to create a large disk image, and a server to put the image on.

1. Create a large 128 GB disk image, formatted in APFS.
2. Move the disk image onto a server, OR keep it on a "host Mac" and use Mac File Sharing.
3. On the "target Mac" (the one you'll use Logic on), mount the disk image off of the server to the desktop.
4. Go to the Relocate Sound Library dialog, and select the mounted disk image, and hit Move.

Obviously it's a bit slow, but it's very effective - especially if you have a server and you want to move all the content on there.

I hope this helps if you are trying to find alternate locations to store the sounds.

Last edited:

rm5

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Any particular reason you prefer to use a server for this, instead of just having an external, or secondary, disk?

Mainly because I personally think external hard drives are clunky, and servers are a so much "cleaner" setup. But, there are obvious problems - they're usually a bit slow, and they are sometimes difficult to set up.

That's ironic for me to say though, because I still use an external SSD for some things, however the server method is fast enough for my purposes.

I might end up moving the sounds back onto the external SSD, as to me I prefer to either use external hard drives or servers, not both — and currently this is not possible.

I hope this makes sense.

Reactions: Wando64

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
Mainly because I personally think external hard drives are clunky, and servers are a so much "cleaner" setup.

True, but you already have (at least) one cable going to your mac to connect the audio interface.
I would just use a hub and connect both to the same cable.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 4, 2022
United States
True, but you already have (at least) one cable going to your mac to connect the audio interface.
I would just use a hub and connect both to the same cable.
I have an Anker 5-in-1 hub which works perfectly for my needs (3x USB ports, 1x HDMI, 1x Ethernet). So I can connect USB to the interface and the Ethernet to the switch, which is connected to the server.

But I can see where you're coming from, and I totally agree.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.