Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
Hey,

I'm a Mac user for some years now but I only have been using two screens with my Mac since like 2 weeks ago. I usually work with two screens and, once I'm done with it, I turn off the secondary one.. but, sometimes, I forget about windows in there and, the only way to move them back to the main screen is to turn the screen on again. Or is it? Is there any other way of doing that without turning the secondary screen on again?

Last edited:

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
Thanks a lot for the suggestion. Unfortunately, it only works if you hit the 'Next Screen' option on the Menu bar of the screen where the window is at so that's pretty much the same :(

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
if i am understanding correctly, you have a second monitor plugged in, and you turn it on and off as you need it for the additional workspace?

my recommendation would be to simply unplug the secondary display's connection to the laptop. and this will cause the primary display to collect any windows that had been left open on the external display. i imagine this would also prevent issues where your cursor gets "lost" offscreen, since as far as the OS is concerned, the display is there, even though the hardware for it is off.

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
if i am understanding correctly, you have a second monitor plugged in, and you turn it on and off as you need it for the additional workspace?

my recommendation would be to simply unplug the secondary display's connection to the laptop. and this will cause the primary display to collect any windows that had been left open on the external display. i imagine this would also prevent issues where your cursor gets "lost" offscreen, since as far as the OS is concerned, the display is there, even though the hardware for it is off.
Thanks for the reply!

Yes, you are absolutely right about that but, it's kind of a pain to constantly be plugging it in and out. If it was on my rMBP, it'd be an easy thing to do but it's on the iMac so I have to reach behind it to do that.

No other way? :(

Manic Harmonic

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2011
If you use bettersnaptool, you can assign a key command to move the active window to the next monitor. So you could just command+tab or command+tilde to your window and then use the key command.

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
If you use bettersnaptool, you can assign a key command to move the active window to the next monitor. So you could just command+tab or command+tilde to your window and then use the key command.
Perfect, it works! Thanks a lot!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.