Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peneaux

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2020
After being a huge fan of Apple since 2006 when I bought my first Apple product (a Macbook), I decided to switch. Moved from iPhone to Android and I sold my Macbook Pro and I'm learning how to use Linux (Fedora).

I'm not trying to incite hate. I'm just explaining the reasons I'm happy with the switch.

1 - Android is more private than iOS; I'm not talking about Google's Android. I'm using CalyxOS and it works great. Apple says what happens in your phone stays in your phone but we all know Tim Cook is full of crap.

2 - Android phones are cheaper; I'm not talking about crappy ones. You can get a Google Pixel 3 (in good condition) for less than $100. You'll only get an iPhone 7 for that price. Losing a lot of value is not good when you buy new but if you feel like switching to Android, $100 + 30min to install CalyxOS is easy.

3 - Android is way more configurable; You can sideload apps, have access to system files so you can copy files to and from the device, change the way the UI looks...

4 - Android is more private; I like how you can use a firewall to block apps from connecting to the internet...You dont need an iCloud account or Google's to use the phone, you have a kill-switch for the VPN (so it wont leak yourIP).

5 - Battery lasts a lot; I guess not having Google or Apple's tracking your phone in the background might help the device because the battery lasts more than a day using it. Of course, mileage might vary (GPS, ****ter all day...)

It takes time to find app replacements but you'll find if you have patience. I was able to find polished apps for my needs.

I might post another thread with Linux but so far my experience have been subpar because Mac laptops are way better than the competition (even in price).

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
After being a huge fan of Apple since 2006 when I bought my first Apple product (a Macbook), I decided to switch. Moved from iPhone to Android and I sold my Macbook Pro and I'm learning how to use Linux (Fedora).

I'm not trying to incite hate. I'm just explaining the reasons I'm happy with the switch.

1 - Android is more private than iOS; I'm not talking about Google's Android. I'm using CalyxOS and it works great. Apple says what happens in your phone stays in your phone but we all know Tim Cook is full of crap.

2 - Android phones are cheaper; I'm not talking about crappy ones. You can get a Google Pixel 3 (in good condition) for less than $100. You'll only get an iPhone 7 for that price. Losing a lot of value is not good when you buy new but if you feel like switching to Android, $100 + 30min to install CalyxOS is easy.

3 - Android is way more configurable; You can sideload apps, have access to system files so you can copy files to and from the device, change the way the UI looks...

4 - Android is more private; I like how you can use a firewall to block apps from connecting to the internet...You dont need an iCloud account or Google's to use the phone, you have a kill-switch for the VPN (so it wont leak yourIP).

5 - Battery lasts a lot; I guess not having Google or Apple's tracking your phone in the background might help the device because the battery lasts more than a day using it. Of course, mileage might vary (GPS, ****ter all day...)

It takes time to find app replacements but you'll find if you have patience. I was able to find polished apps for my needs.

I might post another thread with Linux but so far my experience have been subpar because Mac laptops are way better than the competition (even in price).
Hey, I switched to the Google Pixel in May 2020. Wanted to give Android a shot since I thought it had improved (and it has). Android's nice, so is my Pixel. But you know what? I paid off the Pixel and got an iPhone 11 Pro Max in February 2021.

Why? Turns out I like iOS better.

It's funny though. You seem to be willing to do a few things for Android - but you don't mention anything about jailbreaking an iPhone. Some (or most) of the things you mention can be done on a jailbroken iPhone.

Why is that?

Berries-A-Million

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2019

anyone who says android is more secure or private than iOS just lost my respect. Shall I link to how many malwares or hacks Android had in the last week?

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
anyone who says android is more secure or private than iOS just lost my respect. Shall I link to how many malwares or hacks Android had in the last week?
So you lost respect for leading security researchers across the planet? Ok. As a side note, he's not talking about stock Android, he's talking about security based OS' based on Android which have been hardened with security in mind. Something like GrapheneOS. If you're truly paranoid about security, a NitroPhone is the solution. There's nothing more secure in the consumer phone world.

The rest is up to the user and that's the real problem, people opening the doors for anything. When doors are kept shut, it's hard to walk in. Not impossible of course as this shows: https://www.intego.com/mac-security...100-million-ios-users-and-apple-said-nothing/

8mrg81

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2019
I go back and forth and every time I move to android I ask myself why the heck I keep making the same mistake (probably price). Now I am on samsung s9 and any day now I am finally switching back to iphone. Androids get so slow and so fast. I think that my s9 after only 1 year was driving me nuts. And I had tons of free space and not that many apps installed at all. In one of "iteration" of my endless loop, one time I had nexus 5. My god, I hated that "phone" so much.

And I am too old for formatting/reseting my devices every 6 months like I used to do it 20 years ago microsoft products.

As for linux as a personal computer … I am a linux admin for living … I love linux … but I don't want to touch terminal when I am not working :)
On the macbook I use terminal just for one thing … ssh-ing to linux :)
And that macbook was my first laptop that lasted in my hands that long (6 years). All the windows laptop I had before, after 2-3 years were crying to be replaced :D

Reactions: grandM and Diesel79

EddieKeyton1

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021
I’ve been bouncing back and forth from android and iOS myself. But here lately I’ve kind of secured my destiny inside the apple ecosystem. I’ve purchased so many magsafe products for my 13. I could have purchased a used car. . Anyway, no matter what I’m the more secure you go the less free you’ll be. Those custom rims are missing a lot of stuff. But if that’s what you enjoy, who am I to criticize what type of experience you enjoy. Glad that you’re happy, but my main question is. Why post about you exiting the apple-verse?

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017

1636850129591.png

So the recently released Pixel 5a is supported only until August 2024? Wow… And that’s OK in your eyes?

In three years time that expensive phone “Secure device” will become potentially insecure - and that’s what you base your rant on?

Meanwhile Apple currently support the iPhone 6s from SIX YEARS AGO with iOS 15.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
^^

To show you dont have to be stuck with Apple if you're not happy.

Im staying away from "closed" ecosystems. Recently I moved out of 1password (due to the subscription scam).

And how is 1Password charging for a subscription a “scam”?

They are providing a service - it costs money to run a company that provides a cloud based service, and exceptionally more money to provide (what one would hope) is an exceptionally secure cloud service.

You can not like the fee for sure, you can complain that you don’t like the way they changed the pricing model as well. There’s any number of perfectly valid complains one could level at the company.

But to call it a “scam” is totally disengenious. They changed the model. Your choice is to pay or move away.

I chose to stay after walking away from Lastpass 2+ years ago. That was my choice with Lastpass, and your choice with 1Password.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
^^

To show you dont have to be stuck with Apple if you're not happy.

Im staying away from "closed" ecosystems. Recently I moved out of 1password (due to the subscription scam).
That’s a valid reason.

However, do remember that if you did get that Pixel 3, you will only have less than a year for support from CalyxOS. If you value privacy (and probably security) as well, you will be upgrading sooner. You would’ve gotten a better value if you bought the Pixel 4a instead (supported until August 2024).

Reactions: peneaux

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I use both. Unless we get another exploit, once my 11 Pro Max can no longer work as it does on iOS 13.3, I will be staying with Android. I will reconsider if they go back to the round edges, have Touch ID, and I can jailbreak again.

PeterJP

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
I just switched to iPhone because Samsung made its phones nearly unROMmable. I had an S10+. If I need to spend two days every year to keep the damn thing up to date, then it’s costing me a lot more in wasted time than the purchase price of this iPhone 13 Pro. In the end I needed to reinstall Samsung’s big hot mess, which is much worse than Apple’s walled garden. Anyway. I was an Android user from 2012-2021 and ROMmed every phone I had. Most of what you say is a pipe dream. It can be achieved, but at what cost (time wise)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.