Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theBigD23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
Hello,
I've put on some movies I've copied from my DVDs onto the iPad, but the volume is very low. For example, Hangover, even at full volume is not very loud when at max. I did go into iTunes and changes the volume slider in Options to max. This did help, but it seems like it should be louder. Even downloaded movies from iTunes aren't that loud. Is this typical?

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
Same issue & movie for me as well, using the latest handbrake and vlc.
I might have at the time i ripped/encoded it used the 64bit versions but im not sure if that'd cause the the low volume issue....but it's like that with a few movies actually.

It's not just on the iPad they have low volume, but the actual rip itself.

If you did use handbrake, try it again using the 32bit version of handbrake and vlc, and just use the universal settings at default and go from there.

I'm going to to try it later tonight as well....if anything it could be something with the film itself.

theBigD23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
I'm switching to Handbrake 32 bit for now.

Also, if I'm ripping a DVD and I want it to work on my iPad, iPhone, and stream on my Xbox, is the best way to achieve this ripping the DVD with High Profile? I'm guessing the files sizes would be very large for the iPhone and iPad, but I don't want to have multiple files, so I would just have to have the larger files. Is there anything I can do to make the files sizes smaller? Or is this the only way? Thanks!

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
I'm switching to Handbrake 32 bit for now.

Also, if I'm ripping a DVD and I want it to work on my iPad, iPhone, and stream on my Xbox, is the best way to achieve this ripping the DVD with High Profile? I'm guessing the files sizes would be very large for the iPhone and iPad, but I don't want to have multiple files, so I would just have to have the larger files. Is there anything I can do to make the files sizes smaller? Or is this the only way? Thanks!

Yeah, I'm also using 32bit VLC & Handbrake.
Ive encoded two movies using the default settings on the universal preset.

with the hangover, i have it encoding right now actually.
what i use for all my encodes for my iTunes Library, iPad, iPhones/iPod Touch's is the Apple Universal preset.
I wouldnt bother with the High Profile or the non Apple presets if you want total compatibility between apple devices and im not 100% sure with the XBOX but it should work with that.

So with the Hangover encode, im using the Universal preset, everything default. with the exception of going into Picture settings and going to the right of the box that appears that says Cropping and clicking custom and removing the cropping handbrake does to Zero as this seems to crop the film smaller than the actual DVD itself and though it will leave the black bars it will be exactly the same as the film itself, not sure if its the same as the iTunes store but you get exact dvd if that makes any difference.

ill post back with the audio mixdown, ill see if it sounds any better than the previous encode i did. all i know is the first encode's audio mixdown was just unwatchable practically no audio.

hope that was useful, if you find any good settings that may improve it, itd be great to know.

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
i just went through the encode and it sounds slightly better, i dont know if its Handbrake or perhaps just the actual source itself.

most of the dialog through the first portion of the film is very light. the music in the film sounds fine, just dialog is weak still.

ThirteenXIII

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2008
i initially have the same problem with Hangover DVD.
I just ripped a few other DVDs in the default Universal preset as suggested and they sound fantastic on my Macbookpro i leave it at 4 ticks on the volume and i can hear it perfectly clear, Hangover i have to turn the volume on the MBP to about 12 ticks to really hear it.

however on my desktop speakers (z5500s) via optical on the control pod of the speakers it sets to about 3-4 notches and its perfect.

so i dont know if its the MBP speakers and iPad speakers that arent able to fully push out the audio of the film or what.

but definitely something id like to know more about.

henneth

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2010
I have a small question, not worth a thread so I thought I would drop it here since it its somewhat related.

Whenever I go into my videos app, the first screen I see is the episode list of one of the tv shows I have on there. Why won't it open up at the library? I try to close the app when it is at the library but it always goes straight back to that episode list when I launch the app. I've not seen any options anywhere.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Exactly the same here. Not much more to say. Doesn't really bother me though, mainly use earphones which have okay volume.

Handbrake and vlc (32 bit)

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
even playing this on a surround system, i have to crank it up quite a bit higher than other films ive encoded.

I havent gotten any more information or anything better to try and fix the problem.
Handbrake forum suggested upping the DRC level up...but I dont see how thats a suitable option.

this is probably best to be in the ATV/Home Theater forum for the most help.

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003
Noticed this myself. Movies/TV shows downloaded from iTunes are very much louder than anything I've ripped myself in Handbrake.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.