Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darkpixie08

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
Is there a way to put movies on your ipad without putting them in itunes? I keep all our movies on a separate computer, and I'd love to be able to put them on the ipad without putting them on my main computer that my Ipad is synced to. Can I use cyberduck or some other program to do this? If someone could give me a brief walkthrough of the steps I'd really appreciate it!

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
OK so when you say "put" movies on your iPad, I am going to guess you not only want to carry them but you also want to play them on the iPad and that is the tricky part. you can "put" all the movies you want using, iFile, Cyberduck (SSH), IphoneExplorer, PhoneDisk, iDisk, etc. now they Won't play on the Ipod.app or video.app (in case of the iPad) this application need no only the video file but also some entries on the database that cannot be done manually.

Now, I think there are some alternatives media player you can use to play those videos, i think iFile got a build in player you could use (very basic) and there were other media players out there I can't remember their names from the top of my head now and I am not sure if they have been updated lately to support iOS4

Anujpurohit

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2010
Check out BUZZ player

Hi.
Check out buzz player. It lets you play almost all files from windows share and does not require re encoding,
So its like playing file from vlc off a network drive and i love that app.

Please buy the after trying through install***s as it is really the best app around.

Cheers

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
Another vote for BUZZ player.. It's very full featured, and supports playing or copying movies over the network. Plays just about all video formats.

pfjellman

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2010
Oregon
I haven't tried buzz player, but i do use airvideo (for playing videos off my network while at my house) and vlc (for playing videos locally on the ipad while i'm traveling).

vlc plays almost all video types, and is very easy to use. simply drag your video files to the vlc section in itunes under ipad apps. the video files aren't added into itunes and don't need to be converted. then open vlc and they will play just fine.

vlc is also a free app. airvideo costs a few bucks but its worth it if you have terabytes of media on a network and want to see it all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.