Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paieye

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
Disk Utility tells me that on this 60 gb hard drive, I have only a little more than 2.7 gb free. It also tells me that Movies are taking up more than 475 mb on my hard drive. However, when I open the Movies folder in Finder, it shows the folder to be empty.

What is going on ?

Erdbeertorte

Suspended
May 20, 2015
I also see 2.43 GB of movies on my SSD and don't have a single one. Must be the music videos in my iTunes library. Do you maybe have also some in there?

paieye

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
I also see 2.43 GB of movies on my SSD and don't have a single one. Must be the music videos in my iTunes library. Do you maybe have also some in there?
Thank you for that. Guided by your advice, I have kicked out another 400+ mb of rubbish ! I have also moved my audiobook-collection, taking up 9+ gb, to an external drive.

However, the mystery is that Disk Utility still insists that I have got only 2.78 gb free on my hard drive.

Aha ! Here is the answer: http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/disk-utility-showing-less-available-space-than-the-finder-in-os-x/

Last edited:
Reactions: GatorGhost
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.