Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timmay77

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
Iphone X

Ever since I updated to 11.3, my native "TV" app will not remember where I left off when watching a movie and starts the movie from the beginning every time. I use my movies every day on the treadmill and it is super annoying to have to scrub through to where I left off. There is no option to turn this feature on or off as far as I know. Called Apple, had me do some things, but nothing helped. Stopped hearing from them. No solution.

Any ideas?

adham7897

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2017
Iphone X

Ever since I updated to 11.3, my native "TV" app will not remember where I left off when watching a movie and starts the movie from the beginning every time. I use my movies every day on the treadmill and it is super annoying to have to scrub through to where I left off. There is no option to turn this feature on or off as far as I know. Called Apple, had me do some things, but nothing helped. Stopped hearing from them. No solution.

Any ideas?
Go to Settings --> Videos --> and set "Start Playing" to "Where Left Off".

timmay77

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
On my iPhone X, under settings, there is not a "Videos" option......
[doublepost=1524503442][/doublepost]I can select "TV" under settings, but there is not a "Start Playing" option.

timmay77

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
Bump. Still no solution for this. Just updated to 11.4 and it is still not working correctly.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Same here. I've searched before, but this stupid TV app doesn't let you continue playing, apparently. It also takes 2-3x longer to load than the Videos app did. I wish there was a way to get the vastly superior Videos app back.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Going to your “library” and playing a video will start it from the beginning.

You need goto the “Watch Now” section select the video from the “Continue” section for me this is at the top and quicker to get to anyway.

HTH

G_ronk

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2018
Does this only work for movies and shows purchased from itunes? The “watch now” tab in TV you said allows you to resume playback where you last left off but what about tv shows and/or movies added to iTunes library but not FROM iTunes? It used to work no problem and now it always starts from the beginning

timmay77

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
Does this only work for movies and shows purchased from itunes? The “watch now” tab in TV you said allows you to resume playback where you last left off but what about tv shows and/or movies added to iTunes library but not FROM iTunes? It used to work no problem and now it always starts from the beginning

None of my uploaded content is in the "Watch Now" tab.

I converted and uploaded my entire collection of Big Bang Theory to watch while I run. Not purchased from Apple. It only appears in my Library. Can not continue where I left off.......

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
You have to hit the DONE button before you close the TV app. If you just pause the video and leave the app, or leave it without pausing then I guess it does not save a marker of where you are at. If you pause the video and then hit DONE so it goes back to the title screen where it shows the slipcover and description then it should work.

Reactions: timmay77

timmay77

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
You have to hit the DONE button before you close the TV app. If you just pause the video and leave the app, or leave it without pausing then I guess it does not save a marker of where you are at. If you pause the video and then hit DONE so it goes back to the title screen where it shows the slipcover and description then it should work.

YES! I can verify that this works. THANK YOU.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.