Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cumulativeloss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2020
As the title suggests, I currently own a base Retina Macbook pro that I bought new about 5 years ago. I have placed an order for a used/refurbished 16 inch that has the base i9 from the Apple store at a slight discount. Is it crazy to think of getting a custom MBP with 32gb or 64gb of ram instead? I don't necessarily use my computer intensively asides from having many tabs open as well on Chrome.
I plan on keeping my computer for four years and my two previous computers had 16gb.

NikeNikon

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2015
not crazy, but if all you're doing is having a bunch of tabs open that seems overkill to me. What else are you doing with the computer? If you're just doing web browsing it's not likely to need such a powerful computer, and 16GB of ram is plenty.

cumulativeloss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2020
not crazy, but if all you're doing is having a bunch of tabs open that seems overkill to me. What else are you doing with the computer? If you're just doing web browsing it's not likely to need such a powerful computer, and 16GB of ram is plenty.
Some light video editing: nothing crazy. I might end up trying to build my own iMac with more ram.
FWIW it still lags- so perhaps RAM is the bottleneck. Future proofing is tempting though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.