Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

isbyrne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2021
Manchester UK
Hi,
Keen photographer moving from Windows (AMD 2400g with 16gb ram) to Mac and need some advice please.

I am looking at buying a new Macmini M1 and have watched many videos on advantages of 8g vs 16g models but I'm still somewhat confused.

I use Lightroom and photoshop but neither excessively (no 4k video) and I am sure the 8g model will suffice especially with 512 storage but would like a bit more input, especially from someone who uses this model.

I also intend buying a Samsung T7 to boost storage, will this work OK with the M1?

Thanks in advance,

Iain

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
For photography (especially if batch processing dozens of photos at a time), I'd recommend going with the 16GB RAM. The T7 is a great drive for use as an external drive, I have the T5, which is identical in size but slower.

benshive

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2017
United States
Even if it's not for really intense tasks, I suspect Lightroom and Photoshop would benefit from the extra 8GB of memory. Especially if you want to be able to have some other stuff running alongside those apps. I'd go with 16gb but it should definitely still work with 8gb.

Reactions: isbyrne

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK
I’ve just got a 16GB Mac Mini from the Apple UK refurb store. Well worth checking what they have in the early hours when the stock is refreshed as they go quickly. I got the 16/512GB M1 MM for only £30 more than the £200 cost of either of those upgrades. Given current lead times for BTO macs, it’s a quicker option too.

I’m using a Crucial X8 that I bought to nurse my iMac 2013 through its last few months.

Not had chance to put the machine through its paces yet but am very happy with it.

Reactions: isbyrne

Brian1230

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2021
I got the base model because that was all Best Buy had, the apple store near me didn't have any MacBook Air M1 in stock and Best Buy only had the gold base model. it seems more than what I need. my 2015 MacBook Air only had 128/4gb and runs Big Sur just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.