Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sigurdsn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2014
Hi, all!
I'm attempting to move my main user's home folder to separate partition. (Yes, I'm well aware of the pros and cons of this.) The process itself is painfree, but when logging in with new home location set it seems all my user and system preferences have been reset: It asks me to set up my iCloud account, trackpad preferences and dock items is back to default, my login application list is empty, etc.

Some things to take into consideration:
  • I'm on Yosemite public beta.
  • My disk is encrypted, so I use the unlock tool by Justin Ridgewell - and it seems to work as I am in fact able to log in.
  • I've tried copying from root user, both drag-and-drop and with terminal 'ditto' command.

If I change the home folder location back to original, everything is back to normal. So it just seems like there is something wrong with the copy.

Any thoughts? Bug with Yosemite or problem with my copying?

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
If I change the home folder location back to original, everything is back to normal. So it just seems like there is something wrong with the copy.

Any thoughts? Bug with Yosemite or problem with my copying?

Did you change the home folder location in the Users & Groups system preference?

sigurdsn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2014
Did you change the home folder location in the Users & Groups system preference?

Hey, thank you for answering. Yes, forgot to mention the exact procedure.

Actually, I jumped the gun a bit on posting this issue as I've just been able to make it work! It seems the 'ditto' copying did the trick after all. For reference, I followed this tutorial.

Not sure why simply copying the files over didn't work, as most other tutorials simply use the drag-and-drop method.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.