Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slade38012

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2022
I have a 2011 iMac running 10.13.3 and I am changing to a 2012 Mac Pro 5,1. I have heard that I can't simply move the SSD to the Mac Pro, due to apps being tied to the machines UUID, and due to machine specific modules and kernel drivers. Is there any validity to this? If so then how would be the best way to go about this? I use the machines for audio production and have a considerable amount of application components for plugins that I would prefer not to reinstall if possible.

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Good news first, it's normally totally possible without any issues.
AFAIK your info about specific modules and kernel drivers is wrong. Except specific updates, macOS includes all drivers for all supported models.
Licensing info on the other hand has probably to be re-entered.
What I do in cases like yours (backup your data first, just to be safe):

- Create a bootable install medium from the latest OS you want to install (full installer from Mac App Store)
- Clone/Move the SSD to your new computer (don't yet boot from it)
- Boot your new device from the created installer and install the OS OVER your existing system

This way, all your userdata, settings and apps remain intact, while also ensuring complete and clean system files.

If your Mac Pro isn't on the latest firmware yet, first do a clean install and apply all updates (enough guides here). Afterwards proceed with my suggested steps.
If you want to stay on High Sierra, 10.13.6 is the latest full installer.
For Mojave you need a Metal-compatible Graphics card.
For Big Sur and Monterey your furthermore need Open Core.

Last edited:
Reactions: slade38012

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
I've always moved my SSDs (Boot & Storage) when changing macs. When I upgraded from a 5,1 to a 7.1 MacPro I moved six SSDs over. No issues for me.

Lou

Reactions: slade38012

Soba

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2003
Rochester, NY
One of the things I have always liked about Macs is that—with very few exceptions—a boot drive is practically universal and can be moved from one Mac to another (and back again) with no problems. Great for troubleshooting or for migrating to a different system.

In the old days, Windows would basically make a suicide pact with the PC it was installed on, so trying to move a boot drive to a new PC was almost impossible. Even modern versions of Windows will sometimes choke when trying to do this. In this respect, Macs are a breath of fresh air.

slade38012

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2022
Good news first, it's normally totally possible without any issues.
AFAIK your info about specific modules and kernel drivers is wrong. Except specific updates, macOS includes all drivers for all supported models.
Licensing info on the other hand has probably to be re-entered.
What I do in cases like yours (backup your data first, just to be safe):

- Create a bootable install medium from the latest OS you want to install (full installer from Mac App Store)
- Clone/Move the SSD to your new computer (don't yet boot from it)
- Boot your new device from the created installer and install the OS OVER your existing system

This way, all your userdata, settings and apps remain intact, while also ensuring complete and clean system files.

If your Mac Pro isn't on the latest firmware yet, first do a clean install and apply all updates (enough guides here). Afterwards proceed with my suggested steps.
If you want to stay on High Sierra, 10.13.6 is the latest full installer.
For Mojave you need a Metal-compatible Graphics card.
For Big Sur and Monterey your furthermore need Open Core.
Thank you guys so much! This had me so on edge. I appreciate the help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.