Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

logicstudiouser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2010
This is more a tip post for any iOS 6 users that sync with iTunes 10.7 and want to transfer to a new computer for syncing.
I recently transferred to another mac for iPhone backups. I did a clean uninstall of the latest version of iTunes using AppCleaner and used Pacifist for the installation of iTunes 10.7
Everything was working as it should, but when I started backing up/syncing my iOS 6 devices with iTunes 10, that is when I encountered a problem. I was getting a 'Cannot allocate resources' error anytime I connected an iOS 6 device. Many troubleshooting tips for this error suggested restoring to the latest version of iOS to fix the problem but that wasn't a solution for me.
I eventually found a solution, first I quit iTunes and transferred the lockdown file (/var/db/lockdown) to the new computer. I got the file from the latest time machine backup from the old computer. The hard part is finding the path to that location in Time Machine. (The best way to find this is to go in the latest TM backup and click all the way to your mac volume, right click, select 'Get Info' to see the path. Copy that location and paste the var/db ending to find the lockdown file location). I used the 'Go to Folder' function under the 'Go' menu to find the location.
I opened a new finder window, and went to /var/db and transferred the lockdown file to this location on the new computer. If it already exists, you want to replace the entire folder.

Once done, I relaunched iTunes and my iOS 6 devices began syncing again!

Important for anyone doing this:
This is a system file so be very careful. Transfer the whole lockdown file, do not drag and drop the content inside the file to an already existing lockdown file. Replace the entire folder if it already exists.
App Store and iTunes 10: Downgrading to iTunes 10 can cause problems with downloading and updating in the App Store, specifically I have found with 10.10 Yosemite or later. Something to keep in mind.

Always backup your computer before performing any tasks like this which carry some risk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.