Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BasilFawlty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
New Mexico
I have a 2011 27" Mac that I have Windows 7 installed on through BootCamp. For the past few years I have always done my taxes on the Windows OS - side. I would like to start doing my taxes on the MAC OS Side but would like to be able to access and import the previous year's data from the Bootcamp side.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had that situation of moving from TurboTax (Windows version) to TurboTax on the MAC OS and were you still able to import the previous years' data from the Bootcamp side?

user_xyz

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2018
I have a 2011 27" Mac that I have Windows 7 installed on through BootCamp. For the past few years I have always done my taxes on the Windows OS - side. I would like to start doing my taxes on the MAC OS Side but would like to be able to access and import the previous year's data from the Bootcamp side.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had that situation of moving from TurboTax (Windows version) to TurboTax on the MAC OS and were you still able to import the previous years' data from the Bootcamp side?

You should be able to "import your .Tax files to usb stick and export them to mac side turbotax. Or something like that?
windows or mac should be able to read the .Tax files.

BasilFawlty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
New Mexico
That's what I'm hoping is the case. Just wondering if any0one has actually done that (e.g., are the .tax files in the Windows version the same as those in the Mac version). I'm probably going to move to the MAC OS for TurboTax anyway, but wondering if someone has done this and whether the .tax files were compatible. I think you're probably right, but...

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
The software mfgr's website is the usual place to find info like this.

I googled turbotax file import and the top hit was how to import into Windows TurboTax. I realize that's the opposite of the direction you want to go. However, on that page is a link to this:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1...eturn-into-the-2018-turbotax-for-mac-software

So based on that article, and using a USB stick for the file, this appears to answer the question, subject to your confirmation.

Obviously, you'll need a copy of TurboTax for the Mac to confirm, but you'd need that in order to confirm whatever anyone told you here.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP --

One thing I would do is to boot into Windows, and then save ALL of your previous TurboTax data files to a USB flashdrive.

Might make them easier to access "from the Mac side".

One other thing to consider:
Disclaimer: I don't use TurboTax. But I do follow the TurboTax threads that are over at macintouch.com:
https://www.macintouch.com/community/index.php?threads/tax-software.1616/post-10197

Seems to me that I recall the latest version of TurboTax won't run on older Mac hardware or software.
So... be sure to check TurboTax's hardware/software requirements before you commit yourself to "the Mac side" of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.