Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

woodenbrain

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2009
I'm in the process of migrating from a 2009 MacPro still running Mojave to a current Mac Studio.

Due to boot volume space limitations in both the old environment and the new one (1TB SDD), I want to locate large capacity files that normally would exist in ~ on an external volume (4TB NVMe). In the Mojave environment, that included things like ~/Movies, ~/Pictures, but also certain items in ~/Documents and ~/Library, such ~/Library/Application Support/GarageBand, or ~/Library/Mail

In the Mojave environment it works well enough with symlinks to the external folders.

Two questions:

• has anything changed in terms of security since Mojave that would make this more difficult, and if so are there better approaches?

• what about the possibility of installing MacOS on the external NVMe drive as a secondary boot volume? In that case, if I had a user with the same short name as the user on the internal Mac Studio boot volume, could I do the same thing? i.e. symlink (for instance) ~/Library/Mail ? Or would security limitations block that?

Thanks for the info.

Last edited:

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
For reliability through updates and upgrades, I have found it best to leave alone the default folders (Library, Documents, Desktop, Downloads, Music and Pictures). My symlinks to large folders on external SSD either have different names or are put inside Music, etc. And, obviously, move Music and Photos libraries to external.

Regarding ~/Library: Tread cautiously. The GarageBand folder should symlink fine. But I would leave Mail as is.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Symlinks will probably work, however, I instead recommend using the integrated library relocation functions — similar to what @gilby101 cautioned.

woodenbrain

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2009
OK, thanks, that's all helpful and mostly I've been aware of those things and have done it like that in current environment for Music and Photos. Mail works for me with a symlink in current environment.

Any thoughts on the second part of my questions? I just installed Sonoma on that external NVMe drive, and now have a user with the same name and short name as my "main" user on other boot volumes, and the same one I'll use on the new Mac Studio's internal boot volume. If for example I symlink from ~/myuser/Library/Mail on the internal boot volume to the exact same path on the external NVMe drive (which can also be booted) is that likely to work?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I just installed Sonoma on that external NVMe drive, and now have a user with the same name and short name as my "main" user on other boot volumes, and the same one I'll use on the new Mac Studio's internal boot volume."

Hmmm...
Not sure if this will work.

Even though the NEW account has the same username and password as the old one, the Mac will STILL "see them" as DIFFERENT accounts. The result will be permissions hell.

Reactions: woodenbrain

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Any thoughts on the second part of my questions? I just installed Sonoma on that external NVMe drive, and now have a user with the same name and short name as my "main" user on other boot volumes, and the same one I'll use on the new Mac Studio's internal boot volume. If for example I symlink from ~/myuser/Library/Mail on the internal boot volume to the exact same path on the external NVMe drive (which can also be booted) is that likely to work?
Even though the NEW account has the same username and password as the old one, the Mac will STILL "see them" as DIFFERENT accounts. The result will be permissions hell.
I too am worried by the @woodenbrain scenario.

For permissions, the important thing is that the UID of the accounts is the same. The first user created on macOS has UID 501 (whatever the name). Is the UID of each one the same? - you can show this with the Terminal command id.

Symlinking anything in ~/Library is going to cause unexpected problems which will be difficult to diagnose. Some things will work

Mail is a good example as Apple Mail uses more than ~/Library/Mail. There are mail related folders in ~/Library/containers and ~/Library/groupcontainers. And likely elsewhere.

Assuming the UIDs are the same, you can symlink document folders, but avoid symlinking anything in ~/Library (or other system folders) or package libraries like those for Photos. There are a few exceptions which will probably work - like the GarageBand folders you mentioned before.

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
Symlinkinking folders in ~/Library isn't a problem in itself. I have lots of apps that has large folders in library folder, that I've replaced with symlinks, and it's totally fine - have been for years. Symlinking the whole ~/Library folder or subfolders, though, I'd be more sceptical of.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.