Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Mozilla Thunderbird was updated from 0.8 to 0.9 yesterday,
also Firefox 1.0 RC2 (release candidate 2) was released.
Mozilla.org

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
They must have really worked on Firefox because it seems much faster than RC1. I'm shocked that the delays are gone and things are working better too.

iLikeMyiMac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
St. Louis
The first improvement that I see is that the small blank window that would appear when expose was used is gone.
I also noticed a nice speed boost. :)

dotnina

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
So, I just downloaded Firefox ... it looks and acts the same, and I still have that pesky little white window in Expose!

Is there a special link to get RC2, or is the giant "DOWNLOAD FIREFOX" thing RC2? Just wondering, since I'm not noticing a difference and the "About" window doesn't mention if this is RC1 or RC2.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
dotnina said:
So, I just downloaded Firefox ... it looks and acts the same, and I still have that pesky little white window in Expose!

Is there a special link to get RC2, or is the giant "DOWNLOAD FIREFOX" thing RC2? Just wondering, since I'm not noticing a difference and the "About" window doesn't mention if this is RC1 or RC2.

You just downloaded the preview again. You have to do a lot of looking to get to the release candidates. ;)

The extra window is gone but...no, nevermind. :D

dotnina

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
bousozoku said:
Yes, those kind of links are fine because they're legal downloads.

Oh of course -- I just thought it was odd that the link was a little tough to find and that nobody posted the link in this thread ;)

Firefox does seem faster, and I'm happy to have one less window in Expose :)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
dotnina said:
Oh of course -- I just thought it was odd that the link was a little tough to find and that nobody posted the link in this thread ;)

Firefox does seem faster, and I'm happy to have one less window in Expose :)

Well, I rarely post those type of links because generally the people who aren't willing to work at finding it usually shouldn't be dealing with software in that state of being anyway. Giving those people easy access is opening up the forum to a lot of extra, unncessary whining. Oops, did I say that? :p

abc123

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2004
i'm so glad that stupid window is finally gone, i don't know why but it used to really annoy me. i do miss my closing tabs on a double click extention that doesn't work wit this release though, oh well.
anyway v1.0 is released on the 9th right?

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
doesn't seem any different to me, and yes, i downloaded the real rc2. it's barely faster and my cute menus extension doesn't work, along with everything except gmail notifier and image zoom. single window doesn't freakin work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is there a way to go back?

abc123

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2004
homerjward said:
doesn't seem any different to me, and yes, i downloaded the real rc2. it's barely faster and my cute menus extension doesn't work, along with everything except gmail notifier and image zoom. single window doesn't freakin work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is there a way to go back?
just go to the main site and download the preview again?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
abc123 said:
just go to the main site and download the preview again?

Anyone see why I don't post links to beta software now? :D

The final product should be ready shortly but those plug-in writers need to fix their software to work with the proper interface. They probably had to write workarounds to get everything to work with the broken interface tha Firefox has been using all this time.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
I'm waiting for FireFox to take on a more mac-like appearance.

I'm content with Safari, but it does display some pages strangely, and I've had nothing but perfect page displays in FF.

abc123

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2004
using this for a day i've noticed a few other improvements, i haven't gone looking for them though.

links from other applications now have the option to open in tabs and not new windows (or was that there all the time and i just overlooked it?), also using the find function if the words are not found the text box turns red which is kind of nice.

Dr. No

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2003
Is it just me or does the Mozilla suite 1.8a4 feel faster than Firefox or Camino??

I just downloaded it. I have an old machine though, a G4/400 with PCI graphics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.