Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Really?

Don't start harrasing Cortana then. You'll find some sass and sarcasm right back at you. :D
Really? Usually when I try to ask Cortana stuff that Siri responds sarcastically to, she just searches the internet. Oddly enough, it's hard to have a casual conversation with Cortana. You can however carry on a conversation with Cortana unlike Siri

gooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2013
i continue to be a little confused as to why snow leopard is obsolete. isn't apple still selling it?

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
i continue to be a little confused as to why snow leopard is obsolete. isn't apple still selling it?

I bought it last summer. Ironically enough, it took them less time to mail me a physical disk that it did to get my redemption codes for Lion and Mavericks(I went on a binge of buying every version of OS X while I still could).

In any case, I bought both server and client versions. The server version is still available something of a niche product-as far as I know it's the only one with an EULA that permits virtualization(on a Mac), and presumably it's there for folks who still HAVE to use Rosetta for legacy software. Server and client are both the same price($19.99, and unlimited client on the server version), and I was actually a bit surprised that they even still sell the client version.

And, again, when I bought Lion and Mountain Lion(both at separate times) it took a full 24 hours to get the redemption code through email. I also order SL server and client separately, and in both cases I called some time after noon local time. Each was on my door step the next morning.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Yes…Apple is still selling it. But there's a reason why.

There are still lots of people on older Intel Macs, some of which are running versions older than SL. Apple wants those customers to move to Yosemite and above.

But every version of OS X since Lion has been available via download from the App store ONLY.

How do you get access to the App store if you are running anything older than OS X 10.6.6? You upgrade!

So, Apple makes it real cheap for these people to get a copy of Snow Leopard, install it, open the App store app and then upgrade to a higher version of OS X.

And THAT'S why Apple is still selling Snow Leopard.

Last edited:
Reactions: MysticCow

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Point…Snow Leopard!

TenFourFox 38, G3 version running under Rosetta.

TenFourFox.png

Sepultura

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2013
Are you sure? I know Chrome dropped support for 32 bit processors, so the Core Duo iMac's are no longer supported. I have both a Core Duo and Core 2 Duo iMac. Chrome still works on the Core Duo, but no longer gets updates. Last I checked, Firefox works on both the 32 bit (Core Duo) and 64 bit (Core 2 Duo) machine and continues to get updates on both.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Are you sure? I know Chrome dropped support for 32 bit processors, so the Core Duo iMac's are no longer supported. I have both a Core Duo and Core 2 Duo iMac. Chrome still works on the Core Duo, but no longer gets updates. Last I checked, Firefox works on both the 32 bit (Core Duo) and 64 bit (Core 2 Duo) machine and continues to get updates on both.
This is not immediate. Firefox 45 will be when they drop support.

Sepultura

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2013
This is not immediate. Firefox 45 will be when they drop support.
They are dropping support for 32 bit or for 64? It doesn't make sense that they would drop Snow Leopard altogether when it's a 64 bit os. It's also Intel only, so why would it be an issue for them to keep it updated?

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
They are dropping support for 32 bit or for 64? It doesn't make sense that they would drop Snow Leopard altogether when it's a 64 bit os. It's also Intel only, so why would it be an issue for them to keep it updated?
When Firefox is built for newer versions of OS X it must constantly be checked for backwards compatibility with the older APIs in Snow Leopard. Not only is this tedious, but it limits what the app can support on newer versions of OS X when the API isn't available in Snow Leopard.

This link was posted earlier in the thread and explains some of the more technical details: http://tenfourfox.blogspot.com/2016/03/the-practicality-of-case-for-tensixfox.html

Reactions: eyoungren

Sepultura

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2013
When Firefox is built for newer versions of OS X it must constantly be checked for backwards compatibility with the older APIs in Snow Leopard. Not only is this tedious, but it limits what the app can support on newer versions of OS X when the API isn't available in Snow Leopard.

This link was posted earlier in the thread and explains some of the more technical details: http://tenfourfox.blogspot.com/2016/03/the-practicality-of-case-for-tensixfox.html
Can't they just disable any features that wouldn't work on Snow Leopard? Regardless, I can't see how anything that would run on El Capitan, wouldn't run on Snow Leopard...

So I guess Snow Leopard is screwed. Chrome is unsupported on the Core Duo and The Core 2 Duo will lose support in April 2016; Firefox is also killing off Snow Leopard.

So what browser choices do we have? Both my White iMac's run Snow Leopard dual boot with Windows XP. Funny, I could upgrade to Windows 7 then update to Windows 10 and the computer would retain the up to date versions of Chrome and Firefox...

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
Can't they just disable any features that wouldn't work on Snow Leopard? Regardless, I can't see how anything that would run on El Capitan, wouldn't run on Snow Leopard...

From what I've read on the TFF blog, that would wind up disabling pretty much everything in Firefox.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
By the way, in reference to disk utility-here's the new one

Screen Shot 2016-03-27 at 10.36.50 PM.png

For what it's worth, I've seen folks mentioning using the one from Yosemite. The computer I'm using at the moment(actually bought specifically to test new OS releases) dual boots Yosemite and Mavericks. Out of habit, to load disk utility I keyed it into Sherlock...sorry I mean Spotlight and it found the Yosemite copy when I hit enter. The version launched, and then told me it couldn't run on this version of the OS.

Granted, this computer rarely gets booted into Yosemite(or even booted in general for that matter) so I'm sure I'm behind by a couple of major revisions :) . Just this evening, I upgraded it from 10.11.0 to 10.11.4 :)

Reactions: eyoungren

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island

View attachment 623470

For what it's worth, I've seen folks mentioning using the one from Yosemite. The computer I'm using at the moment(actually bought specifically to test new OS releases) dual boots Yosemite and Mavericks. Out of habit, to load disk utility I keyed it into Sherlock...sorry I mean Spotlight and it found the Yosemite copy when I hit enter. The version launched, and then told me it couldn't run on this version of the OS.

Granted, this computer rarely gets booted into Yosemite(or even booted in general for that matter) so I'm sure I'm behind by a couple of major revisions :) . Just this evening, I upgraded it from 10.11.0 to 10.11.4 :)
Yosemite's Disk Utility does work on El-Cap, here is a photo of them side by side.
Everything seems to function except still no permissions repair.

Screenshot 2016-03-27 at 8.15. PM.png

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA

View attachment 623470

It will run, but you have to modify the binary to disable the version check. You can download the modified version in this thread, or modify it yourself.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
And SeaMonkey? Or it has lots in common with Mozilla? www.seamonkey-project.org
Tenfourfox is the most up to date browser available for PowerPC Mac. There is no PowerPC browser you can name that is more up to date on PowerPC systems that would be better just because Snow Leopard.

Chrome and Firefox were the last up to date versions capable of running on SL systems.

The only real option now is T4Fx under Rosetta.

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
Tenfourfox is the most up to date browser available for PowerPC Mac. There is no PowerPC browser you can name that is more up to date on PowerPC systems that would be better just because Snow Leopard.

Chrome and Firefox were the last up to date versions capable of running on SL systems.

The only real option now is T4Fx under Rosetta.

And either staying on SL, downgrading to SL, or upgrading to a newer Mac OS if possible.

headsh0t95

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2013
Netherlands
You'll only need SL if you have a Core Duo mac (early-mid 2006). All Core 2 Duo macs (late-2006 onwards) can run at least Lion. This isn't always great - as the Macs with the lower-end chipsets (Intel GMA 950 is noturious) have bad graphics performance and are often sluggish under Lion.
However if you have a slightly newer mac (mid-2007 iMac / 2008 or newer MacBook) then you can run El Capitan and have browser support for years.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
You'll only need SL if you have a Core Duo mac (early-mid 2006). All Core 2 Duo macs (late-2006 onwards) can run at least Lion. This isn't always great - as the Macs with the lower-end chipsets (Intel GMA 950 is noturious) have bad graphics performance and are often sluggish under Lion.
However if you have a slightly newer mac (mid-2007 iMac / 2008 or newer MacBook) then you can run El Capitan and have browser support for years.

I've shoehorned ML on the only GMA950 I have at the moment(as well as on the X1900 in my Blackbook) but that's a realistic limit for them. ML does give some advantages like Messages, but Mavericks is a reasonable bottom end. Heck, let's be realistic-it's my main OS :)

I was using my mid-09 Macbook(pre-Unibody) last night, and it actually does surprisingly well with El Capitan-I'd say better than Yosemite. It has an SSD, though, which makes a huge difference. One thing I will say is that I think memory management is improved with every version of OS X. The Macbook with 4gb DDR-2 seems to manage its memory than my 2011 Macbook Pro did under Lion with 8gb of DDR-3. Both my main Macbook Pro(mid-2012) and my Mac Pro have 16gb, which honestly I think is overkill for the time being.

BTW, it's worth mentioning in all of this that those of us with Mac Pro 1,1s keep soldiering on :) . Mine's at 8(physical) cores and has an SSD-I could run El Capitan, but choose to not do so. When my GPU stops being supported, I can throw in another :) .

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
MLPostFactor makes running Mountain Lion possible on Macs that officially only support Lion, and performance is the same if not better than Lion, so really Mountain Lion support should have been given to those Macs by Apple. I have not personally tried ML on a GMA 950, but on my unsupported late 2006 24" iMac it runs better than Lion.

That being said, Firefox (as well as Google Chrome) is dropping support for 10.6, 10.7, 10.8 all at once so it doesn't do much good to go to 10.8. Opera is still compatible with 10.7+ for the time being, but I'm not sure how long that will last.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
So Snow Leopard users are ****ed, basically.
No. But, just like PowerPC users, at a certain point you have to adapt to the limitations.

I used TenFourFox G3 version 38 on my MBP at Starbucks over the weekend. It's no slower than T4Fx on my PowerBook.

Obsolecence and app developers abandoning us came for PowerPC long ago. It not going to be any different for the early Intel crowd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.