Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
I just got a Radeon AMD 8970 card. Does anyone know of a good video demonstrating GPU installation of this or other GPU? This is a big, fat card. I've installed small cards that required only the removal of the thumb-screw secured plate covering the mounting tabs. Is there anything else I need to remove or get at to install the 8970? There is a bank of plastic slots to accept and stabilize the back ends of PCIe cards and a metal bar perpendicular to the cards which crosses the bottoms of cards. This bar is apparently for stabilization of the card as well and catches a hook on the bottom of the card. Is there anything I will need to move or slide in this arrangement or can the card be just fit into place before seating?

I will be pulling the old card, which is presently installed in the bottom slot. Is this the best slot to install the new card, or is one slot as good as another? The back of the 8970 circuit board is uncovered, with pins and circuitry exposed as on the back of an HD, and in this bottom slot will come close to touching the roof of the CPU enclosure. Should I be concerned about this?

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
Thanks for reply. I figured out the mechanics. Basically it was fear that I'd break something, so I didn't want to fiddle with things. Are there problems with the 7000 series or are they overpriced compared with equally capable cards? I just wanted a card that would give me 4K.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Thanks for reply. I figured out the mechanics. Basically it was fear that I'd break something, so I didn't want to fiddle with things. Are there problems with the 7000 series or are they overpriced compared with equally capable cards? I just wanted a card that would give me 4K.
7000 series are very cheap now. They will do what you need but the power consumption was high. Keep an eye on this forum after the summer to see if the new generation of AMD Polaris cards work.

Reactions: macmesser
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.