Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 3, 2016
when I went to use my 1,1 MP running elcap this morning, I got an unresponsive black screen. Then when I went to reboot, I got no chime + black screen. At this point I reset SMC from which I did got a chime but then it just cycles over & over.

This is where I'm at now. Steps taken so far include:

SMC reset
Lobo reset
Ram dimm & card reseat
Monitor test (OK with my powerbook)
GPU reseat
GPU new PCIe slot
LED test button (located in ram bay) showed no CPU/Sleep warning LEDs. power and trickle were on as the computer was cycling.

So at this point, I'm sorta stumped so thought Id put it out to you guys for thoughts. I thought that as this is a hackered elcap install on a 1,1, that a corrupted file of some sort is causing it to hang and reboot (has been solid for the past 5 months) but am at a loss as to how to get the cdrom door open to install a more appropriate OS like SL or Lion. It is unresponsive via the keyboard.

Any thoughts on how to proceed? Thanks!

Last edited:

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
I’d suspect that perhaps the latest security update installed on you. So that’s where I’d check first. Look at the thread in here about installing El Capitan on the old Mac Pro. It’s discussed heavily in the last few pages of the thread.

The security update causes the problem you describe. And it is able to be fixed using the tips in that discussion.

Reactions: 1042686

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 3, 2016
I’d suspect that perhaps the latest security update installed on you. So that’s where I’d check first. Look at the thread in here about installing El Capitan on the old Mac Pro. It’s discussed heavily in the last few pages of the thread.

The security update causes the problem you describe. And it is able to be fixed using the tips in that discussion.

Thanks! Will do!

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.