Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

devoooo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2021
Tilted Towers
Hey, so recently I decided to upgrade the EFI of my Mac Pro 1,1 to go to a 2,1 (netkas method) and the EFI & SMC upgrade was successful. I also enabled AHCI for Windows via OS X Utilities. Everything went well, OS X and Windows booted flawlessly until I tried OC the Front Bus like my friend did, he got his x5365’s to run at 3.33 GHz with no issues or thermal throttling. I tried to do the same exact thing to mine but my pc froze every time and the red lights lit up on my logic board but a restart always fixed the issue. I tried a few times but it kept freezing. The 3rd attempt to overclock made the Mac freeze (like the other attempts) so I held the power button like I did the other times but I heard
something pop in the Mac and now it turns on but won’t chime or boot.

What I’ve tried already:
- NVRAM Reset
- SMC Reset
- Cold Boot
- Tried new RAM
- Power supply replacement
- Boot with only PSU cord plugged in
- GPU swap
- HDD/SSD swap
- Recovery mode & internet recovery
- Target disk mode
- Changing CMOS battery cell

System diagnostic lights:
EFI light stuck on green, Power trickle light on yellow. (Image attached shows how it looks but it isn’t my image)

9AD0BC84-41F6-4CDC-966F-FD36C48A7CFB.jpeg

I’m thinking it could be the logic board that failed but I can’t afford to replace anything. I’ve tried every single troubleshooting and tried swapping the parts out except for the logic board. It’s also worth mentioning that all of his ram slots were filled with 2GB sticks running at 667MHz totaling 16GB, while I had one tray filled with 4x2GB at 667MHz, while the other tray had 2x4GB sticks (don’t remember the speed).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.