Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Average Pro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
Cali
Over the past month, I've noticed portions of my monitor flickering. For example, a small portion of an email might shift or momentarily blink. Today, my monitor went blank, then static (yes, tube TV static, then light blue vertical lines, black with red vertical lines, white, black and repeat. I had to perform a hard reboot. The problem occurred while working in Classic LR.

I am now in Safe Mode and I notice the Safari Tabs corporations of the tab change/flicker from black to gray to white or a combination of all three whenever I move the mouse over the tabs. When I perform a screen capture, the photos do not show the problem, even though the tabs are still black/gray/white. I was able to capture one pic where you can see the top of each tab is slightly darker (see attached photo). On several occasions, when I try to screen capture, the problem stops when I click Shift/Command/4. While typing this, the tabs constantly strobe/flicker.

Apple replaced both graphic cards (AMD FirePro D500) within the first 2 years.
Is the MP on its death bed? I'm now going to run First Aid, reboot and create a new temp account to see if the problem appears again.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Equipment:
MP 6,1; Catalina 10.15.6
2007 30" Cinema Display
APC Smart UPS 1500

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-22 at 11.56.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-22 at 11.56.35 AM.png
    39.9 KB · Views: 224

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
It sounds like one or both GPUs could have thermal damage. It could happen easily if you don't keep the fan speed up when it's under load. Apple's fan profile doesn't protect the Tahiti GPUs from overheating. Since the 6,1 isn't exactly a DIY machine you'll need to make an appointment with Apple or an authorized service provider to get it fixed.

Reactions: Average Pro

Average Pro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
Cali
Hmm, you bring up an interesting point. I recently moved to where the temperature is considerably hotter. Nights run in the mid 70s at night, but can get to upper 80s during the day. Whenever I'm tasking the CPU, the AC is on. I do all of my work when the temperature is cooler.

The same day I experienced this issue, it went away after I left Safe Mode. I'm going to keep track of when the flickering begins and see if there's a correlation it to the room temperature.

There was a sense of excitement that I would use this as the justification to purchase the new MP 7,1 but I can wait a little longer.

Thank you for the feedback and the recommendation to work with Apple to get it fixed.

Reactions: MisterAndrew
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.