Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HeadstrongZodiac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2023
Hello all,

I recently upgraded my 2008 mac pro tower with an EVGA 2gb gtx 680. However, (and I knew this) it won't have a boot screen, but will still load macOS. I want to upgrade it to Monterey via opencore legacy patcher 1.3, but I'm not sure how to do it, since the base hd 2600 xt is not metal supported, and the gtx 680 has no boot screen/screen to boot from a usb, I'm unsure of what to do.

I'm sure I'll have to do some patching I'll need walked through for, but is there a roundabout way of doing it? Potentially using the 2600 xt to install Monterey and then removing it for the gtx 680? If anyone knows how to help, let me know.

Thanks to all

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Just flash the GTX 680, easiest card to do it.

HeadstrongZodiac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2023
Just flash the GTX 680, easiest card to do it.

Can you link me to a video or something? I can't seem to find any actual info on how to flash the card in the thread. I found a video, but don't know if it's the best.

Video Link:

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Can you link me to a video or something? I can't seem to find any actual info on how to flash the card in the thread. I found a video, but don't know if it's the best.

Video Link:

There are step by step instructions on the post I've linked. Please read it, nothing else is needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.