Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HeadstrongZodiac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2023
Hello to all;

Back around September I bought an hd 5770 for my mac pro 2008 model. I planned on using dosdude1's patch for mojave, but to my disappointment I realized that wouldn't work. I now have the budget to afford a better gpu than then. I've seen posts about the GTX 680 from evga, so that's what I came here for. Will any card work, and is it "plug and play" (meaning nothing needs flashed)

TLDR; Upgrading mac pro after realizing patch wouldn't work, will any evga gtx 680 work without flashing.

wolf1734

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2014
France
Hello to all;

Back around September I bought an hd 5770 for my mac pro 2008 model. I planned on using dosdude1's patch for mojave, but to my disappointment I realized that wouldn't work. I now have the budget to afford a better gpu than then. I've seen posts about the GTX 680 from evga, so that's what I came here for. Will any card work, and is it "plug and play" (meaning nothing needs flashed)

TLDR; Upgrading mac pro after realizing patch wouldn't work, will any evga gtx 680 work without flashing.
hello in response to your question I have a mac pro 3.1 which runs under mac os sonoma 14.3.1 with a 5770 video card I do not have the startup screen with HDMI but I have it with DVI. it works very well. Sincerely

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
a 2GB GTX680 with standard ports like the Mac EVGA version works pretty well.

If you hunt good enough you will find a pre patched GTX680 or even a Mac Edition.

Also patching yourself is easy, just needs to boot a linux thumb drive with nvflash.

Last edited:

HeadstrongZodiac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2023
hello in response to your question I have a mac pro 3.1 which runs under mac os sonoma 14.3.1 with a 5770 video card I do not have the startup screen with HDMI but I have it with DVI. it works very well. Sincerely
If I may ask, how did you get it running? All mac OS patches i've seen have a problem with the 5770.

HeadstrongZodiac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2023
a 2GB GX680 with standard ports like the Mac EVGA version works pretty well.

If you hunt good enough you will find a pre patched GTX680 or even a Mac Edition.

Also patching yourself is easy, just needs to boot a linux thumb drive with nvflash.
Alright, thank you for clarifying. I'll need to find a video on how to flash, though.

HeadstrongZodiac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2023
I didn't do anything special just launched open core (1.3.0) which put the fixes and everything works fine
Alright, I'll find a video on how to do it somewhere. Although I still want to upgrade the gpu (nothing too extravagant), do you have any recommendations?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.