Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Teezyiusz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2021
Hi!

At start I'm very sorry for my English. It's not my mother tounge.
I'm quite new in this. All I wanted is cheap Mac device that is quite powerfull so I bought 2009 Mac Pro with HD 5870. All I did was to change graphics card so I bought RX 470 and Installed it. Beacuse I wanted to play some games sometime on my Mac I installed Windows 7 on it. And here's where the problem starts.

After managing to destroy DVI I/O on both cards (using HDMI now) beacuse of switching many times in order to go to Recovery Mode (and couldn't even do that. I wanted to go to disk utility to make MBR on my HDD. Finally managed to do this on Windows console beacuse I was stuck in CD/DVD booting) I have installed Windows 7 and it is working really good. Bad thing is that I couldn't go back to Mac OS not knowing why since the SSD (where Mac OS was) was working 100% fine. So I just decited to stay fully on Windows since i bought my self a Macbook to work on OSX system. But HDD that Windows is installed on managed to make a lot of noise recently. It sounds like scrathing but with the dB of barking dog. Soooo I wanted to install Mac OS on that HDD since I wouldn't use it and install Windows on SSD.

... But I can't go to Recovery Mode or Boot Mode at all with my 5870 GPU, beacuse I know that rx 470 doesn't boot EFI or smthng I don't know. CMD+R don't work at all. No matter how I use it. After pressing power button, after chime, with multiple keyboards (I use windows keyboards). I tried even removing HDD but only to see blinking dash in upper left corner. Holding ALT gives me only black screen no matter how long i hold it.

I just want to go in that stupid Recovery Mode that's all... please help me. The performance doesn't botter me at all but that sound is driving me insane.

chickade

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2021
Hi!

At start I'm very sorry for my English. It's not my mother tounge.
I'm quite new in this. All I wanted is cheap Mac device that is quite powerfull so I bought 2009 Mac Pro with HD 5870. All I did was to change graphics card so I bought RX 470 and Installed it. Beacuse I wanted to play some games sometime on my Mac I installed Windows 7 on it. And here's where the problem starts.

After managing to destroy DVI I/O on both cards (using HDMI now) beacuse of switching many times in order to go to Recovery Mode (and couldn't even do that. I wanted to go to disk utility to make MBR on my HDD. Finally managed to do this on Windows console beacuse I was stuck in CD/DVD booting) I have installed Windows 7 and it is working really good. Bad thing is that I couldn't go back to Mac OS not knowing why since the SSD (where Mac OS was) was working 100% fine. So I just decited to stay fully on Windows since i bought my self a Macbook to work on OSX system. But HDD that Windows is installed on managed to make a lot of noise recently. It sounds like scrathing but with the dB of barking dog. Soooo I wanted to install Mac OS on that HDD since I wouldn't use it and install Windows on SSD.

... But I can't go to Recovery Mode or Boot Mode at all with my 5870 GPU, beacuse I know that rx 470 doesn't boot EFI or smthng I don't know. CMD+R don't work at all. No matter how I use it. After pressing power button, after chime, with multiple keyboards (I use windows keyboards). I tried even removing HDD but only to see blinking dash in upper left corner. Holding ALT gives me only black screen no matter how long i hold it.

I just want to go in that stupid Recovery Mode that's all... please help me. The performance doesn't botter me at all but that sound is driving me insane.
I'm having the same problem with a 2011 imac and a 2012 macbood pro. No recovery mode!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.